Cooking Good Food - Ramens of the day

Dayum. Come out great?

Yes it was awesome. So happy how it turned out.

Used this recipe.

2 Likes

Critique my prime rib plan (9.5 pound 3-rib):

Night before, heavily salt/pepper and leave uncovered in fridge
In the am, deposit into a 190 degree oven for hours until 130
Rest for an hour
Take drippings for au jus
Crank oven to 550 and crust it up

I’d reverse the high to start but otherwise sounds perfect.

For a roast it makes sense to do it first because it is only getting better as it sits in the dry air. For a steak doing it first means it has to sit in its own juices while it finishes cooking thus killing the crust.

I would have started salting earlier, but that ship has sailed.

I wouldn’t go below about 225 F for your oven temp. Ovens aren’t super reliable, so you want to make sure it’s hot enough to actually cook your meat. I’m going to be doing 250 on my Trager.

The rest sounds good.

How far in advance should you salt?

Thoughts on searing first as clovis suggested?

48-72 hrs for something as meaty as a prime rib or turkey. 24 is for something smaller, like a chicken.

Clovis’s method is going to give you more gray band on your meat, but in exchange for a somewhat better crust. On a prime rib, in contrast with something like doing steaks for a crowd, only two of your guests are really going to notice the difference in the crust, while everyone will, or at least has the opportunity to, notice the gray band (obviously plenty of people are oblivious, and some want more done meat). I think reasonable people can disagree, but I prioritize uniform doneness in prime rib. I’m more inclined to emphasize crust in a steak.

4 Likes

Thanks. Looks like I missed the boat on the salting as well. Well, there is always next year.

There is no time like the present. 22 hrs is better than 17 or 9.

I’m going to get about 20 before it goes in the oven.

1 Like

A couple ideas:

1. Sprinkling some salt on the slices after slicing, especially on the middle slices.
  2. If you are planning on serving your roast with some sort of sauce (horseradish cream, Bearnaise, gravy, chimichurry, etc.), make sure the sauce is well salted.

Thanks. I’ve got some of those fancy flaky salts sitting in the pantry that I never use. I’ll bust them out for this.

1 Like

I can hardly imagine a better reason to.

Now that you mention it, me neither. Especially since I got them as a Christmas present last year!

Hahahahahhaha, yep, perfect. You might taste a sliver of a central slice to guide your hand on the salt, but being bold is good.

Mme Melkerson probably won’t trust me with that. I’ll have to let her do it. Part of the reason I got the salt is because everyone knows I fucking love salt! She thinks I put too much on everything.

1 Like

No boat missed yet - this is actually for Tuesday. Will up the heat a touch and salt earlier. Do you pre-season with just salt or do you go pepper then as well or wait and pepper when it goes in?

Edit: pulling at 130 might be a bit late too going for a reverse seat. Will temps still rise much via carryover if you are cooking at low temp?

1 Like

I always pull at 130 and I’m happy with result.

I will pull at 120, but I generally prefer it just a touch rarer. I would not fight anyone who said 125 or 130.