Cooking Good Food - Ramens of the day

That’s good to know. Mme Melkerson was the one who bought it. She claimed, as always, that it was “better quality” than various cheaper alternatives that I likely would have chosen. She never got more specific than that, but it appears that she was correct. This time.

1 Like

In the same boat with a Lodge enameled Dutch oven. I haven’t been that picky about the tools so there are some very small scratches in the coating after 7 years. Perfectly happy with it since I only use it 6-10 times a year.

I think I have this, it’s on the heavy side though, mostly use it for things that go in the oven. I think the enameled pot I bought is just shitty quality so would be fine with another. It’s also not cast iron, unless I’m mistaken. I used to have a large stainless steel pot but I think it got lost somewhere along the way because I can’t find it anywhere.

Edit: the pot I have is ceramic coated aluminum. I actually have two pieces from that set and they both are chipped and discolored while a similar pot I bought of a different brand is absolutely fine despite similar use. I ended up buying this for less than even the Amazon basics one: Tramontina Covered Tall Round Dutch Oven Enameled Cast Iron 7 Qt (Red) - 80131/346DS https://a.co/d/bkBMCu2

This is why I don’t have a Dutch oven. I refuse to give up the storage space for something I’d use a dozen times a year, especially when my stock pot serves the same purpose and I can nest other pots in it.

I agree overall, but I did buy it back when I was in an apartment and I used it much more back then. You could use it for most anything, but the weight makes it a pain to clean daily.

I have a stupid amount of space now for kitchen toys so some of its functions have been replaced by other tools. It’s still great for braising, frying, and soups.

I see where you’re coming from, but I guess I’d rather have a 7 qt enameled dutch oven than a stock pot that is equal in size or larger, unless I was routinely making things for a bunch of people. Between searing meat and sticking it in the oven for e.g. Kenji’s tomato sauce, I can’t really replace it. That tomato sauce changed my life.

1 Like

Is an enameled Dutch oven noticeably better than a regular cast iron one? I found my stock pot and I already own a cast iron one so might not need the enameled one on top of it. That said for $50 I want an excuse to keep it to replace the shitty pot mentioned above.

I much prefer enamel when doing anything like a soup, chili or stew. … and pretty much everything else except searing meat.

2 Likes

I would think that in theory the enamel is preferred for anything acidic like a tomato sauce that you’re going to simmer for a long time. The conventional wisdom is that if you leave an acidic liquid in the pan for any length of time it would eat away at the seasoning on a cast iron pan.

I have an enameled pot and an enameled cast iron pan. The enameled pan sears as well as the “regular” cast iron pan that I’ve got.

Yeah, I can understand that, though my stock pot goes into the oven as well.

Acidic stuff will also eat away the pan itself if it’s aluminum and ruin your sauce. I have a pitted pan and still lingering sadness as proof.

1 Like

We’re going to do stuffed shells for christmas this year. Is there any reason not to use Kenji’s sauce? I’ve never made it before so don’t know the flavor.

It’s bomb. I made it for a dinner party last spring and everyone loved it. It’s not even that complicated, it’s just…the perfect technique to pull deep flavor out of only a handful of ingredients…

I dropped a couple knobs of red miso and gochujang in at the very end, because I’m a badass like that.

3 Likes

Guess I gotta make this sauce once I get the new dutch oven…still haven’t made the chili paste either.

1 Like

Do it

1 Like

couldn’t wait until friday

6 Likes

That’s a beauty!

Wow!

You got a recipe for that beaut?

nytimes dutch baby

1 Like

Another entry for the concentrated tonkotsu ramen fan files. Great broth, subpar egg peeling

5 Likes