Cooking Good Food - Ramens of the day

Maybe this will be in our divorce proceedings ;-)

2 Likes

I have that Oxo 8-Cup Coffee Maker, it makes excellent drip coffee although it’s a little finicky (has a very specific thermal carafe that sometimes clogs or doesn’t pour properly). $60 would’ve been a great deal on it but unfortunately the price is already back up to more than double that.

Yep. Further evidence for not letting anyone tell you that genetically modified food is bad.

For this week’s inspiration for food, we turned to the World Cup.

This is a white American’s attempt at Thieboudienne, the national dish of Senegal. It consists of rice cooked in boullion and tomato sauce (I used homemade stock), an assortment of vegetables (I used eggplant, cabbage, carrots, and white sweet potatoes), and topped with fish (I used swordfish steaks). It’s traditionally seasoned with nététou, which I don’t have, so I substituted white miso paste. It called for salted smoked fish, which I also don’t have, so I just used fish sauce. It called for habanero peppers, which would make it way too spicy for my family, so I just used a hint of crushed red pepper flakes.

Came out great.

8 Likes

for arg-ned game i’s stocking up and making a dutch baby. not rooting for netherlands, just thought it was necessary since they beat usa. i’d make something argentine if i knew the right recipe

Yeah, Dutch cuisine is something of a culinary wasteland, but given the early hour of the games, a Dutch baby is a good call and a notable highlight.

1 Like

If it’s Argentinian you want, then steak is the answer. Something like this should be pretty tasty and hard to mess up.

2 Likes

Bitterballen is pretty good bar food. I was going to say waterzooi too, but I guess that’s Belgain.

Anyone have a recommendation for a large pot, either a specific one or just a good general type to buy? Mostly to be used for making soups, pasta, chili, etc. The type that has two handles to lift it with. Doesn’t need to be able to go into the oven. I previously bought a Bialetti aeternum but it hasn’t really worked out, I don’t like how the ceramic coating has chipped and aged over the years. The more I write here, the more I’m thinking it can be something relatively inexpensive, just a big vessel that gets hot I suppose.

A heavy stainless steel pot is what I have. Came from a Costco Kirkland set. It’s my go to for chilis and stews and subs for a Dutch oven.

3 Likes

lodge cast iron dutch oven

Amazon.com: Lodge L10DOL3 Dutch Oven with Dual Handles, Pre-Seasoned, 7-Quart: Home & Kitchen

1 Like

Generic stainless, not too cheap but definitely not fancy.

1 Like

I’d go enameled:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073Q9PSWD/ref=vp_d_pb_TIER2_cs_lp_B000SOM5XS_pd?_encoding=UTF8&pf_rd_p=7ff5771e-3d64-43df-8374-83d5fdf6e104&pf_rd_r=8GH4EAW1B58ZQX368C14&pd_rd_wg=YcrBM&pd_rd_i=B073Q9PSWD&pd_rd_w=CCnvn&content-id=amzn1.sym.7ff5771e-3d64-43df-8374-83d5fdf6e104&pd_rd_r=e755f934-23c1-42f9-8881-88ce70c36d40

As long as you only use wood utensils on it, the coating keeps well.

1 Like

My own dutch oven is enameled, but he seemed anti-enamel.

Do you have any first hand experience with amazon basics cookware? Seems like the price point on it is hard to beat. Also I can’t really imagine what would be bad about it (other than coating coming off).

I mean, that’s the only way you can kill an enameled dutch oven, right? If the price is low enough, you can go through 3 before you spend as much as a more expensive one, so maybe it’s better to pay less? But yeah, since I’ve been just the least bit more gentle with my Lodge enameled dutch oven (wooden spoons and sometimes metal tongs that just grab food and don’t scrape anything), it’s chip free after like 6 years.

You can mercilessly abuse generic stainless steel in just about every possible way and still hand it down to your grand kids.

Yeah, I just get better sears and fond from enameled cast iron.

Tonight’s World-Cup-Inspired meal:

Admittedly broiled because it fucking snowed today. It never snows this early here.

Also made the soy glazed potatoes that I promise weren’t as burnt as they look in this pic, but that didn’t come out quite right, either.

4 Likes

Agree.

Even damaging the enamel isn’t that easy. We’ve got a Le Creuset one that we’ve had for about 10+ years. Enamel still intact, but admittedly it doesn’t get used that often. Mostly wooden utensils but sometimes use metal too.

Le Creuset’s principle advantage over Lodge is the much more durable enamel. That’s the biggest reason to spend the extra money.