Cooking Good Food - Ramens of the day

The most common prep for rutabaga is probably just to cut it up and roast it or incorporate it into a soup.

2 Likes

Root vegetables are good sous vide then quickly sauteed with butter and herbs. You can even do a medley with like carrots and parsnips and stuff. Oh, and onions. Gotta have some pearl onions in there.

3 Likes

You can also make mashed rutabaga and use it as you would use mashed potatoes.

1 Like

Thanks! I’ll probably go with Zik’s suggestion, mmm pearl onions

With stew season arriving in the north, don’t sleep on gumbo as as option. This simple chicken and sausage gumbo is fantastic.

7 Likes

We usually do seafood on Saturday, so it’s fresh on our usual shopping day, but I wasn’t sure what to do. I came across what appeared to be a dead recipe on Serious Eats for shrimp orechiette with mushrooms and spinach.

Not only did it sound good, but I had some chanterelles begging to be used soon, so I pulled the trigger. Turned out great.

7 Likes

We made orecchiette last night as well, but the more common sausage/rapini/white wine version. We also use the Serious Eats recipe with anchovies which is really good.

It’s one of my favorite pasta shapes to cook with because my wife has small ears so I will dramatically hold one up to her head for comparison and while cooking say extremely funny things like “oh no I think one of your ears fell in the pasta!”. I am easily entertained.

3 Likes

I’m sure there’s no way this gets mentioned in the divorce proceedings :wink:

1 Like

Maybe on page 93 of Appendix 1 - List of Annoying Things He Does

2 Likes

Store-bought Lee Kum Kee XO sauce is now in my possession. Going to pour it on some noodles and leftover turkey after thanksgiving. Maybe a jammy egg and left over green beans too.

2 Likes

Brussel sprouts in the cast iron skillet. Fried on the stove top first, then in the oven for 5 minutes on high heat.

Pretty good.

Used a fancy salami because I didnt have anything else. Worked out well but dried out a little.

Recipe from this thread.

3 Likes

While Thanksgiving is fresh on your mind, I’ve got some questions

1. How long does it take you to spatchcock a turkey? I’ve got a supposedly great pear of poultry shears and it takes me a good 30 min. Getting that backbone out is no joke. I’d love to see a video of someone doing it in real time. All the ones I see are time lapsed down to about 20s or less, so it’s impossible to gauge how long it could/should take.

2. Anyone have any good tips for the following
    -separating the leg and thigh from the breast
    -separating the wing from the breast
    -separating the leg for the thigh
    -separating the wing into a flat and drumette

The first and last are easier for me than the other two. When I see vids about it they always say something like “Just find the joint with your knife and cut through it”, but it doesn’t seem that easy at all.

Unfortunately this is really my technique. I guess add a fair amount of practice to better be able to intuit where the joint is, and a bunch of brute force when you miss by a little bit.

I hyper extend the joints and then make the cut.

Takes my about 5 minutes to spatchcock a turkey. I use kitchen shears and pruning shears.

I might try the pruning shears. I just don’t think these poultry shears are enough for the job. I feel what I really need is a bolt cutter.

These are the ones I have

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Fiskars-Traditional-Bypass-Pruner-with-5-8-In-Cut-Capacity/5002001745?cm_mmc=shp-_-c-_-prd-_-sol-_-ggl-_-LIA_SOL_242_Tools-Watering-Storage-Sheds-_-5002001745-_-local-_-0-_-0&ds_rl=1286981&gclid=CjwKCAiA7IGcBhA8EiwAFfUDsfVq4-DWy4rNFkxLeZ_WsVQ37t6bxB5b_4LWlAxdjceFHyvVMFFEzxoCaY8QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I should have posted this earlier, but the Vitamix sale on Amazon right now that I found by way of Serious Eats is insane:

Never seen it for nearly that price before, so that’ll be MrsWookie’s big Christmas present this year. Not sure how much more time you have to get in on the deal, but if you’re interested in a top blender, I haven’t ever seen a better price.

1 Like

And they say romance is dead.

2 Likes