Cooking Good Food - Ramens of the day

How long would a steak have to be in your freezer before you would be uncomfortable using it?

(My apologies if this oversteps the new forum policy on old beefs.)

9 Likes

If it was vacuumed sealed and doesn’t look freezer burned I’d probably eat it no matter how old.

2 Likes

I double seal with plastic wrap followed by aluminum foil. The real issue is how looks and smells.

If it looked and smelled fine, I’d probably trust for at least 6 months and possibly 9-12 months.

James Hoffmann did a general coffee Q&A recently that has a lot of questions that people who aren’t through the looking glass frequently ask so thought I’d post here.

3 Likes

Add the Wookie household to the ramen broth packet enjoyers

It’s a pretty reasonable amount of effort, and maybe about 70 percent as good as the best ramen broth I’ve ever had.

8 Likes

Man, all this ramen talk makes me feel kind of empty inside. I just don’t get it at all - some hot thin soup with random vegetables and stuff in it. Obv never had elite legit ramen and it’s obv a me problem because people revere it like a religion, but a bowl of broth with a soft boiled egg and some bean sprouts floating in it just doesn’t get me all quivering in delight. Jealous of the people who love it tho.

4 Likes

Ummm, you forgot the most important part. A great Pork Chashu is fucking manna

1 Like

And the really tasty noodles, which when not the instant kind, are delicious on their own.

1 Like

You’re kind of right in that it’s just soup, so it has a ceiling. But elite ramen is pretty great. And if you’re in the mood for soup, it is tough to beat. They’ve basically solved soup.

1 Like

What did you do for the chasu?

Ramen/pho/matzo ball/spicy beef noodle soup are all at the top tier for me as far as soups go.

1 Like

Calling ramen just a soup is like calling chili just a soup. For some people, it’s a way of life.

I was telling my son (who said my ramen was the best ever) that there are men in Japan who have been making ramen for 70+ years and who have likely actually made perfect ramen.

Same boat for me, I’m never really impressed with it so I don’t go out of my way to eat it and I’m certainly not cooking it myself. I might be going to Japan this winter so I’ll see if my opinion changes then.

2 Likes

Do your homework before you go. Im jealous that you get to have authentic japanese ramen

Also, fwiw, my most recent foray took about 8 hours to cook, but a majority of that time was hands off, and if you have an insant pot its a great way to infuse flavors in a short amount of time. Also store bought fresh noodles are probably second best (making them yourself is best but does require a time commitment) over store bought dry noodles.

Who else?

1 Like

Thats really interesting and Ill have to try it. I went with this broiled pork belly recipe and used some of the cooking liquid to infuse into my broth I was making in the instant pot.

I know it isn’t the traditional way to make Chasu, but it was tender, moist, and absolutely delicious, and the runoff really made my broth pop.

What do I do with this?

Is that a dragon egg?

Fry it and put it on top of griddled spam.

5 Likes