Cooking Good Food - Ramens of the day

I disagree with Kenji ( :open_mouth:) on the use of extra virgin olive oil. I would use something like avocado oil that has a higher smoke point. You may think about finishing with parmesan reggiano or tahini as subs for the bacon if you want something more savory to amp up the sprouts.

Yeah that is unconventional. I guess I lean oven sear, because for that much time and temp, I would be a little nervous that it just falls apart if you try to bone it and pan sear.

Here is my favorite sprouts recipe. I can’t remember where it came from exactly, and I’ve modified it some over time.

• Cut sprouts in half
  • Cook in a (cast iron if you have it, otherwise) frying pan in oil cut side down until caramelized on the cut side
  • Toss in some minced garlic and stir around a bit for a minute or two
  • Add a 50:50 mix of white wine and water to just about but not quite cover the sprouts
  • When the liquid is evaporated/absorbed, shut the heat off and stir in some balsamic vinegar (fig balsamic vinegar is amazing with this)
  • Finish with salt, pepper, fresh lemon juice, and Aleppo chili flakes

You can use all water, or sub chicken stock for the white wine, use some different spices, etc. Freshly crumbled bacon bits seems like they would work really well with this, actually.

1 Like

My simple go to approach for Brussels sprouts is charging them under the broiler and tossing with a mix of maple syrup and Sriracha.

https://twitter.com/NoContextBrits/status/1576987626074013697?s=20&t=V_zCsftlTSvHNopKSkK0tg

2 Likes

They’re cowards for not calling it Nonna’s Authentic Hawaiian Spaghetti.

i hope that’s spam, and i would eat it. probably even without the spam.

Texture was kinda strange. Neither tough nor tender, just dense. 3 out of 5 noms, probably won’t nom shanks this way again.

8 Likes

Recommendations for salad extra flavour ingredients?

On a health kick. Looking for ways to add extra flavour to salads.

Got some good stuff like

• olives
  • pickled peppers
  • pickles
  • feta cheese

Anything that lasts a while and can sit in the fridge or the cupboard would be good too.

We use a lot of radishes in salad because they’re nice and peppery and last a very long time. Also in the pickles category just start quick pickling all kinds of stuff. Celery and carrots make a good quick pickle.

Also for proteins, if you like sliced chicken on your salad so that your salad is your whole meal then you can of course marinate it every which way and add a different flavor to your salad. And don’t underestimate tinned fish on salad as a great light meal. High quality tuna on a crunch salad is great stuff.

Unfortunately here in Ontario the great salad season in ending. All through the summer we get wonderful fresh salad greens from nearby farms. In the winter, not so much.

1 Like

Carrot
Garbanzo beans
Artichoke hearts
Cotija cheese
Hard boiled eggs
Dried cranberries
Crushed nuts

1 Like

Also thought of:

Black beans
Seeds
Avocado

Tabouleh is one of my favorite salads, so lots and lots of herbs and mainly bulgur.

Good quality tahini as a sauce base is also a very healthy and a huge flavor bomb (not low calorie though)

2 Likes

Chopped anchovy is my go-to flavor bomb.

1 Like

Mexican or chinese black beans?

What sort of seeds?

Good stuff here

Thank you.

Cotija cheese is a new one to me. Havent seen it in aus or UK. But will look.

What sort of nuts?

I’m a big fan of southwest style salads, corn, black beans, avocado, red onion, bell peppers, tomato, mango, jalapeños, a creamy chipotle dressing, mmm. Cotija cheese would also work in very well.

1 Like

Rugby, ever heard of furikake?

It’s a crunchy condiment blend of seeds, spices, nori, bonito sometimes, dry miso, all the things. A total flavor bomb.

Commonly used as a rice topping, but also great in salads. Highly recommend.

2 Likes

I’ve seen it on the list at sushi/poke bowl places.

I’ll look for it!

Some great ideas here. Knew I came to the right place.

What I found really got me closer to that takeout flavor was shaoxing wine which is about $4 a bottle.

1 Like