Cooking Good Food - Ramens of the day

Basically the dish washers, with occasional prep work. Maybe laundry.

ah, so what many republicans would call a wife

1 Like

Or what my wife calls a husband.

EagerSlowAustrianpinscher-size_restricted

5 Likes

some channel i follow for recipe ideas is usually good but he made a pizza using pumpkin mix instead of sauce or tomatoes and i’m not sure I’ve really processed the trauma yet

Teriyaki sriracha lime grilled chicken thighs with street corn and honey nut squash paired with 2011 Vincent Bjornson Vineyard Pinot Noir.

Edited to correct to teriyaki sriracha not honey. (I think my mind was on the honey nut squash, which was my first time with this variety. Excellent.)

8 Likes

can i turn frozen tilapia or frozen cod into something edible? ideally just by seasoning it and putting it in the oven. ideas?

Fish tacos? Seems like it would cover up the frozen taste well.

1 Like

I would skip the farmed tilapia but certainly cod, yes. Especially if it was handled properly. I get cod directly from a fishing boat and freeze it myself and it is nearly indistinguishable from fresh. If you are purchasing frozen, look for flash frozen if you can find it.

Defrost
Rinse
Pat dry (at this point the fish should smell like the ocean, and not fishy. If it’s fishy, it’s still edible - but look for a better source in the future imo)
Spray a corning or other oven safe dish with non-stick spray
Place fish on it
Sprinkle on your spices of choice (I like paprika, especially smoked. Garlic powder, Aleppo chili flakes, parsley)
Crush up some Ritz crackers (use a baggie and a can of corn or whatever)
Sprinkle the Ritz all over the fish
Place several tabs of butter on the fish in a few spots
Cover with foil and stick in a 425 oven for about 15 to 20 minutes (depending on thickness)
Take foil off and bake an additional 5 minutes (or turn to broiler and stick under the broiler for 2-3 minutes)
Serve with a lemon wedge

There you have a very simple, traditional, and tasty New England baked cod recipe.

If cod weren’t so edible there’d be a whole lot more cod swimming around.

Don’t overcook it though. Your house will stink for days.

Cover it with the seasonings of your choice and lightly poach it. Or bake it. Make fish tacos. You can do lots of stuff with cod.

curious where you can get wild tilapia? i know the farmed stuff is they basically throw them in a huge tub and just let them feed off the dead ones. they’re scavengers from what I understand, but it’s still icky

I went to this thai market for a while where they’d fry the tilapia for you. I’d eat it filipino style with my hands and rice and some ponzu.

i stopped going because you get really vicious looks and sometimes treatment as a white guy there, which i understand

Only way I know is to catch them yourself. I believe that they have been introduced and taken hold in some waterways in the US. But I’ve never seen wild caught tilapia for sale and just assume it’s all farmed.

1 Like

Pork loin lo mein, with carrot, cucumber and scallions. The Panda oyster sauce makes it taste really close to takeout, despite my having no hei to go with my wok.

2 Likes

My google search rn:

how to make good brussel sprouts without bacon

Also me rn:

oh, it’s just this serious eats post

1 Like

I have a SV beef shank air drying in the fridge for tomorrow. The bone now protrudes on both sides after its bath.

• Oven sear
  • Remove bone, pan sear

0 voters

Impossible, imo.

What was your SV temp, and how long?

145 for 24 hours. I’m pretty sure that was suboptimal for both, but I had a whole vat of different meats going so I settled on something that I thought might be tolerable for all.