Cooking Good Food - Ramens of the day

Own the lib’s by storing your garlic in room temperature olive oil!

Garlic causes autism, stupid, don’t you read the news on Facebook?

It definitely is. I think the whole purpose of canning or jarring is to make a shelf stable version.

1 Like

Yup. I freeze red sauce, and most other things. I’m not fucking around with a pressure canner. You can freeze wet stuff in some sort of mold (deli containers work great), then pop it out, vacuum seal it, then stick it right back in and it’ll keep for a year+ without freezer burn.

you can also freeze tomato sauce

damn this guy freezes

6 Likes

Thanks. I’m going to invest in a pressure canner, as I also have trees full of grapefruits, lemons, limes, and kumquats to deal with. Good problems to have.

I’ll send you some jams and tomato sauce in gratitude for all the home improvement advice I expect to rely on you for.

Just make sure you know what you’re doing vis a vis canning your own tomatoes.

Crispy tofu with peppers and mango, coated with a homemade sweet Thai chili sauce.

7 Likes

Prost!

5 Likes

This fall, my goal is to try to learn how to make a decent ramen.It is an extremely daunting task and I will probably make an ass of myself. I think I got the ramen egg down pat tho.

3 Likes

Buy the noods…or…make the noods?!

1 Like

Wouldn’t mind some ramen egg tips. That’s one I’ve found difficult.

Trying to learn ramen is extremely discouraging because look at this incredible shit, why do I even bother. Kinda think ramen is a vastly underappreciated food culture.

1 Like

Feels way easier to just pay the $15 at a ramen joint.

Yeah, this.

The challenge is part of the fun, plus I can better appreciate everything that goes into making the food when I go out for $15 ramen.

Buy the noods…or…make the noods?!

Bought. I want to make some from-scratch broths but I’m not hardcore enough to make my own wheat noodles.

Last week I made Kenji’s Best Chili Recipe ever and, well, it did live up to it, It was excellent. Since the Seahawks won, I’ve decided to make chili each week for the cigar lounge where I watch the game until the Seahawks lose.

This week I’ve made Kenji’s Texas Red Chili and I think it’s even better. I made some slight changes to the recipe - less chicken stock, used mostly chuck roast but also some brisket, and used a bit more adobo sauce than called for. It’s really, really good and will likely be the base for any chilis I make going forward:

The only issue is that my chilis didn’t completely become a paste in my food processor. Think it’s a limitation of food processors and I likely need to get a blender again. Any recommendations for a not too expensive blender? I’m not going to use it much, mostly to make chili paste and maybe hummus, though my processor does a good job with hummus.

7 Likes

Ramen, sushi, pho, and Indian curries are all on my list of never making at home dishes

you can do decent sushi at home. you just need good fish. curries have lots of doable pressure cooker recipes too.

1 Like