Cooking Good Food - Ramens of the day

Yea, I just don’t have all the proper Indian spices.

For the sushi it seems cost prohibitive to be buying a few different fish. I like the variety! Plus I don’t know how to choose the right fish or get the rice right. Could be interesting to try, but I’d be almost guaranteed to screw it up somehow…

i see. my goto has always been 1-2 different fish from h-mart, and sushi rice in a cooker, and a mix of sweet and sour sushi vinegars. served like a rice bowl. back in grad school this was the way to afford to eat as much sushi as i wanted. whereas at a restaurant the meal would be easily 2x or 3x for the same calories

Is there like a sushi grade fish or do you just buy a normal cut of salmon or tuna?

Some stuff gets labeled “sushi grade,” but it’s not a protected term that means any particular level of safety. Basically you’re taking your chances, and you want something really fresh.

1 Like

h-mart sushi grade tastes better than regular fish, but ymmv.

Is there any way to know it’s really fresh? I just don’t trust myself to properly buy and prepare raw fish :grimacing:

Blenders? Someone got an inexpensive recommendation for me? I won’t be using it often.

heh IANAL or food inspector. but usually if i cut the fish and can’t smell any offensive odors, it’s okay for me. but i doubt i could force myself to eat something truly too long in the fridge. as long as you don’t cross contaminate, it’s not harder than regular cooking

I like my Ninja, which is $80 or $85 on Amazon

2 Likes

idk if this counts, but I make Indian curry from store-bought curry paste all the time, very quick and easy.

Also, forget the fish, isn’t the sushi rice extremely difficult to get right?

Well well well looks like we have a cheater cheater pumpkin eater!

But yeah, I’ve heard the same about sushi rice, sounds difficult to get right

no issues making sushi rice. it’s only hard when you are an apprentice and the chef is going to fire your ass when you screw up a whole batch

1 Like

https://a.co/d/7Hf9M71

I’ve got this one, $110 actually, but it’s great

Man, I don’t think I want to spend $110 on an appliance I’ll likely use under 8 times a year.

Immersion Blender > Regular Blender unless you are doing smoothies or similar.

2 Likes

I have an immersion blender.

I just need to puree rehydrated chilis and my food processor doesn’t seem to do a great job.

Going to try again tomorrow and do more pulsing.

Sushi rice may be tough to get perfect, but it is not all that hard to get good enough

I’m on #TeamVitamix. It’s great, but not that cheap.

Homemade sushi can be fun and it scratches that sushi itch. I skip the raw stuff and usually do some combination of cooked salmon, shrimp, imitation crab, cream cheese, and some veggies. My goal is to be better than supermarket sushi.

Once everything is prepped it comes together quickly. I make a roll, eat it, and then go back to make another roll. The hope is that this slight delay will stop me from overeating. It doesn’t, I stop when the rice runs out.

One tip is to use less rice than you’d think, I’m still using too much in this pic. This is shrimp, “krab”, asparagus, and cream cheese with siracha, mayo, and tobiko on top.

6 Likes

@Trolly around the 6 min mark here they eat Pesto Ramen in Tokyo. If that’s not a challenge for you i don’t know what is.

1 Like