Cooking Good Food - Ramens of the day

I don’t get seasonal food people. My stomach’s desires are completely disconnected from the weather. I’ll smash a good lasagna any time of the year.

Same thing for time of the day. I’ve eaten leftover lasagna for breakfast. Wife thinks that’s a crime that almost deserves jail time.

2 Likes

Spaghetti and lasagna are always better the next day. There’s a reason I don’t remember. Something about the meat hitting peak flavor after a day.

Also have lasagna as the best dish to cook for an aggrieved friend.

Any time is a good time for a big heavy baked dish. (I’m fat.)

Seasonality of food should mainly be about availability and freshness of ingredients.

Yeah, I find that to be the case as well. If I would have it for dinner the next day, that would be fine. But for breakfast I get an eyeroll.

Yeah, that’s a legit concern in general. But the quality of classic lasagna components is pretty constant year round.

Just turn it into a frittata.

What does your wife think about cold pizza for breakfast?

Same. I don’t do cold pizza, though. Throwing it in the oven is NBD and much more satisfying to eat.

ATK has a very good vegetable lasagna too. No-cook sauces. I subbed fresh pasta in place of the no-boil stuff and most of the labor is cutting stuff into cubes and then driving off moisture. Haven’t made it for years, but it’s as good or better than a lot of meat based recipes out there. The recipe calls for 7 minutes of browning for the vegetables, but I actively stirred mine for closer to 40 (fresh picked, supermarket zucc’s have way less moisture and could go for less, but probably still longer than 7 minutes). Flavor is intense, but it’s a bit of work and very good.

Cliffs on how to get the moisture out the veggies? I think that’s the Achilles heel of all vegetable lasagna.

Cast iron, medium high heat, near constant stirring, and time. Zapping the eggplant in the microvawe helps a lot too, then I add it to the zucchini and squash and let the cast iron do its thing.

1 Like

Thanks. Maybe I’ll give it a go.

Pro tip: Stab your eggplant a few times before roasting and it won’t blow up in your face as you try to get it from the oven/bbq to the counter.

Salt in advance in a colander over the sink.

Wrong recipe. Eggplant bhartta is the one where I do eggplant bombs.

I’d never make that. I’ve got a place I can get take out from that makes a really good one. Price point is reasonable enough that it’s not worth the effort for me to try to recreate it. However, I probably could make it healthier. They’re a little heavy-handed with the butter and oil in general.

https://twitter.com/chefjoseandres/status/1546655839292833792?s=20&t=M5agYrscnC0Lo1kBu5hdkw

https://twitter.com/joeybagovdonuts/status/1546297079290626050?s=20&t=M5agYrscnC0Lo1kBu5hdkw

0 voters

Honestly, perfection is somewhere between 1 and 2, but 1 is just a bit too underdone for me.

4 is an abomination.

Those pictures suck. Preferred final temp depends on the cut.

I could eat 4 or even 5 if I diced it up and put it on a taco with some pico and other toppings.

1 Like

No Deansteak Tuna option?!

1 Like