Cooking Good Food - Ramens of the day

Really amazed so many of you have never had a wok before. Stir fry is like one of the easiest qucik-n-easy weekday meals to cook ever.

1 Like

Seriously this.

And Chef Wookie not owning a wok is even more bizarre.

Just always done it in a western skillet. But, gotta say, the snap pea and asparagus stir fry I did tonight to christen the wok came out really great.

I grew up watching Yan Can Cook, to me it just feels like as standard a bit of cookware as a saucepan.

The “wok” I have is basically a slightly improved non stick skillet. Just with higher sides that make it possible to get that stir fry action.

Quality wok recommendations?

Made this today. Turned out great.

6 Likes

MrsWookie got me the Yosukata based on this:

Seems nice so far in limited use.

1 Like

Preseasoned woks are a great convenience, just make sure you follow the instructions for care and maintenance. Living in an apartment, I have trouble getting mine seasoned properly.

So my Gram came over the other day and in addition to the homemade jam/cookies/vegetables she brought a frozen 3lbs boneless spoon sirloin roast because why not. I’ve cooked many roasts before but none starting as solid as my cutting board. (1) What’s the storage life on something like this and (2) what’s the best way to cook it?

It should keep for a while, especially if well sealed. Fastest way to thaw it is in a pot of cool water with a trickle from your tap. Seems like you could cube it for stew meat, or maybe braise it whole for any of a number of varieties of shredded beef (barbacoa, Italian, French, etc.), but it also wouldn’t be bad if you just sliced it up into steaks. I guess a lot of recipes that come up high on a search for “spoon roast” roast it to medium rare, which seems fine, too. Seems like a cut of meat you can do basically anything with.

The tofu of beef

I added left over prime rib in my instant ramen today. I got flamed for it. What else is there to do with it?

I was thinking of nachos or a Philly cheese steak / Italian beef.

Putting it in ramen sounds delicious to me, but yeah, nachos, quesadilla, and sandwiches are my usual way to make leftover beef disappear

1 Like

How do I know when it’s completely thawed in the middle? Use a meat thermometer? Feel? Or am I just overthinking it and it doesn’t matter if I’m going to slow cook it and make a stew or braise it?

If it bends easily enough, that’s pretty good evidence. Or, yeah, thermometer, cut it up, etc. But yeah, if you’re going to cook it slow for hours, then a little residual frozen bit will not be noticed. It’s only all that bad if you’re aiming for medium rare.

1 Like

Now that ive had a taste of it, whats the best widely available kimchi to buy? i got a fever and the only prescription is more kimchi

Pizza? I’ve usually got enough ingredients on hand to whip up a pizza, so it is often a default for leftovers, along with nachos which were already mentioned.

If you’ve got an H Mart nearby, they make theirs on site (or at least mine does), and it’s great. Sparing that, there’s a brand at Costco that some Korean friends say is really legit, although not all Costcos may carry the same brands, and I don’t recall the name.

1 Like

is this the costco one? (oh just read its friends and you might not know. thanks anyhow)