Cooking Good Food - Ramens of the day

Ginger needs to become a standard component of pesto. Also, my tongue is still tingly.

A little fish sauce and soy sauce belong in almost every savoury dish. It just ups the flavour of nearly everything.

I like using Worcestershire sauce. Marmite/Vegemite can also be used sometimes.

I remember @Yuv made something on here once where he added like fish sauce, worcesterschire and Maagi sauce or something. It was like triple flavor bomb.

Something loosely related i thought about recently - i can easily think of dishes that are too sweet, too salty, too bitter or too sour. I’m not entirely sure how too umami taste like. When i try to imagine it i get too salty. Is that just because that flavor wasnt defined in our languages? Can a Japanese person instantly think of something being too umami?

(Maybe its more of a me problem as “savory” doesnt exist in hebrew either. It will just be translated as salty)

Just get a bottle of Vegamite and go to town. But even that isn’t perfect, since it’s tainted by other flavors.

I’m about the same. When I make a stir fry sauce, I go garlic-chili sauce, bottled sauce (oyster or terriyaki or Szeschuan etc) then a Tbsp of fish sauce and a few drops of Maggi sauce. And a little squirt of agave syrup and a pinch of cayenne. Sometimes it’s too sweet if the bottled sauce is sugary and I add the agave syrup. Or it’s too spicy if I go overboard with the cayenne and add a large chopped Thai chili. I don’t think it’s ever been too savoury. I say go for it. Adventures in MSG lol

Actually come to think of it, I ordered a seaweed salad from a sushi place since it’s supposed to be mondo savory and it was a little weird without a bunch of other ingredients like in a stir fry etc.

looking for a good recipe using curry leaves. google search turned up that it’s not in fact something that defines a curry

They’re in a ton of South Indian recipes. So, if you’re looking for ideas, I’d start there.

1 Like

Serious Eat is usually really good for this kind of thing, just search for the ingredient name and a bunch of recipes pop up. These all look pretty good to me and there’s more.

https://www.seriouseats.com/chicken-stir-fry-potato-cashew-curry-recipe

1 Like

Father’s day!

I handled the sous vide rack of lamb. I burned the pan sauce that was supposed to go with it, so I improvised a pseudo-chimichurri of fresh mint and rosemary instead. MrsWookie handled the saffron risotto and steamed asparagus.

7 Likes

MrWookie fucked something up! This day will be remembered til the end of time.

1 Like

Anyone have tips for cleaning / cooking a whole fish that Google isn’t telling me?

Bad picture because I was drunk and starving but that was surprisingly easy.

3 Likes

Was drunk? Do you need a Dark n Stormy refill?

1 Like

Am*

Looks like an animal go into it lol I used to do whole fish alot. There’s videos of how to cut at the collar and then down the spine to get nice looking fillets.

eta: You gotta eat the meat in the head.

1 Like

I had some of the cheek post picture. Fish cheek > a lot of things.

No doubt it’s overdue, but at long last, I own a wok.

4 Likes