Cooking Good Food - Ramens of the day

I have a green mountain electric grill and I’m happy with it. I like that I can control it from my phone and check temp and all that. its not anywhere near as good as using just a wood smoker though. There is just no way I’m going to blast myself with smoke and dink around with a fire for 12 hours.

I have a vertical propane fired smoker. It holds temps ok, but windy days are a huge PITA and forget about remote management. I use it for fish mostly, but have done a couple of pork shoulders and chickens that came out good.

What are your goals with this thing? What do you want to be able to cook on the regular?

my mainstay smoker recipes are brisket and chicken. i also plan to do some low temp salmon smoking occasionally.

it isn’t really feasible with my current egg smoker, due to its smallish total area. so just getting extra sausages to throw on with the brisket isn’t feasible. and it starts to stabilize temps around mid/high 200s, afaict it cannot really go lower without a mod. as a result i use it as a charcoal grill most of the time, because monitoring it for 12 hours isn’t my idea of fun

I usually enjoy this series of videos but this particular one is so funny for me. I know (of) Michael Solomonov of course but it amazing how basic the food he makes is and how it would never fly as fine dining in Israel. Quite brilliant on his end.

He also uses (or pretend to use) a fruit that isn’t really meant to use fresh (I think the english name is Citron), which is really weird, but i guess it was just for show.

1 Like

Late evening snack… microwaved pepperoni on top of baby spinach, topped with crushed walnuts and drizzled with chili sesame oil, lemon-infused olive oil, and balsamic vinegar.

4 Likes

The correct way to eat late night snack pepperoni is to stand in front of an open fridge taking big bites out of the pepperoni stick. Pants optional.

7 Likes

Celebrating the Warriors win with a pair of grass fed, bone-in rib steaks from the farmers market.

These were a bit thinner, so I used higher heat with one pass rather than a two stage cook. Seared in ghee in my cast iron pan. Bones also hinder sear, so this isn’t the world’s greatest, but it’ll do.

Served with a 2015 Zinfandel from Sonoma in honor of the first rang.

8 Likes

I had a chat with a french dad in the playground about my memories of roasted chestnuts in Paris as a kid and yesterday he gave me this:

Looks like a very condensed sweet chestnut paste. Anyone have any thoughts how to use it? Not much of a pastry chef to say the least.

I think that is just a spread, you eat it on toast. I think you should go full French with it and put it on some toasted brioche.

In crepes, imo

1 Like

Just use it wherever you might use Nutella.

Ill try but that thing is so dense time moves at 1/4 speed when you stand next to the can. I think ill have to dilute it with something.

Btw in our chat i mentioned having this dessert in a famous touristy cafe named Angelina in Paris

But he was unfamiliar with it although he was Parisian (which makes sense as its apparently italian) and it seems it uses an unsweetened chestnut paste. I guess i can modify.

Huh, I’ve never heard of such a thing, either. Is it difficult to make?

For me? Absolutely. For you i’m sure it will be an easy project.

This video claims to have the recipe from the actual cafe i had it as a kid

Huh, I would have thought you’d have to do more to the chestnut puree to get it to hold together in noodle form, but I guess it’s just noodle shaped paste and not really a noodle.

chestnuts were a much bigger dessert ingredient in both europe and america in 19th century. in america it went downhill when the american chestnut trees started dying of blight. i think in europe it just got phased out for something fancier. it’s still pretty popular in asia. outside Uwajimaya in seattle, there’s a very regular roasted chestnut cart.

Can confirm roasted chestnut carts spring up outside Asian grocery stores in the winter here in the Bay Area.

1 Like

Can’t pass up a challenge like that, here is my take on Sichuan pesto

IMG_0469

IMG_0472

IMG_0478

This recipe fucks, way better than I expected and super spicy.

3 Likes