Cooking Good Food - Ramens of the day

Smoking does make you cooler

I’m putting sichuan pepper into just about everything I make now, it’s probably extremely culturally problematic.

1 Like

I use fish sauce in eveything fuck the libs

3 Likes

I might have made shakshuka with sichuan pepper.

I lay claim to the prize through my hilarious, esoteric, 30 year old reference:

I also agree with Melkerson. Not a fan of the peppercorns, but would gladly devour that Kung Pao.

2 Likes

We did hot pot tonight and I accidentally swallowed a whole Szechuan peppercorn… Fucked me up pretty good.

1 Like

Kung-pao is like the easiest recipe to cook ever and it’s basically impossible to mess up.

Made Kenjis oven wings. My mind is kind of blown at how crispy they came out. I liked them better than fried.

3 Likes

I have not made those wings but I think homemade chicken wings are generally underrated. Until I made them myself I always associated wings with “going for wings” with friends at a bar. Which is great, no doubt, but it kind of blew my mind the first time I marinated and grilled wings at home. So good!

I really like smoking wings and then finishing them in an air fryer.

1 Like

do you guys have opinions on electric smokers?

i have a charcoal one, with a temp regulator fan and everything, which is still a PITA to be perfectly honest. would love a more turnkey solution

I have a Traeger, and I’m not that happy with it. Despite ostensibly burning wood pellets, the result doesn’t taste that much different from an oven. You can get a smoke box to put in the main chamber with your food, but that’s just one more thing you have to do.

interesting i’m definitely leaning towards a vertical one

I’m tempted to doxx myself and advocate for the one I work for.

However, it has some of the same flaws as Wookiee’s Traeger. (We are working on improving this)

Traeger is the most premium, but their price point reflects that. Lots of people love Pit Boss and Camp Chef. r/bbq and r/pelletsmoker are good resources.

1 Like

I’ve made these wings several times and the results are always great. Pretty foolproof as well.

I have a green mountain grill that I’m pretty happy with.

I do use a smoke tube with it to increase smoke flavor.

I don’t know traegers very well, but my method for smoking is starting things in the evening at about 190 degrees and a smoke tube.

That low temperature imparts a pretty decent smoke flavor. Not as much as a stick burner, but enough to know it’s been smoked.

What’s everyone’s buffalo sauce recipe? I go with a stick of unsalted butter, a bottle of Franks, too much garlic and chipotle powder, and usually a few drops of worcestershire, fish, or soy sauce. Honestly, it’s too hot from the chipotle powder, but that stops me from eating more than a half dozen at a time.

I can’t recall the last time I’ve made wings other than these, and I’m not sure I’ll ever want to.

Lately I’ve done a version of this learning from Kenji’s oven wings where I dope the marinade with baking powder, bake to completion, and then use the sauce of butter, sriracha, lime, and cilantro.

just watched kenjis chicken video, so i’m an expert on making sauce now