Cooking Good Food - Ramens of the day

My MIL gave us a beef arm roast from a cow they bought. Any ideas on what to do with it? Some sort of braise seems like the play.

Smoked Honey Mustard Spatchcock Chicken

375F for 15m under a brick to build some texture
180F for 90m to smoke
300 for 15m skin-side down to tighten the glaze

Jackpot.

9 Likes

How many pounds is that?

Outside the box ideas…
Get a local butcher to make you hotdogs or sausage w it
Grind for burgers (grind in butter for elite results)
Trim, cure, smoke, make bootleg pepperoni
Trim some of the fat off, render to make tallow, then dry age the whole cut and cook a big ass steak on Labor Day

1 Like

I actually already cooked it. I trimmed all the fat off and saved it for a rainy day. Ended up just slicing then and making Italian beef. Turned our tasty.

2 Likes

made some cake, ended up with leftover ingredients. assembled a smaller cake in a tupperware

2 Likes

Made some pulled pork

11 Likes

Looks just beautiful

A PUZZLE:

I show you a series of photos, you have to guess what I am cooking. First photo.

IMG_0452

NOTE: Ignore the whole wheat pasta. It is not an ingredient, I forgot to get it out of the shot.

Pesto

2 Likes

Ginger peel and garlic paper. Compost?

1 Like

ALL GUESSES ARE WRONG

Clue two, let’s zoom and enhance on that pepper mill.

IMG_0453

George likes his chicken spicy?

1 Like

Looks like Szechuan something. Mapo tofu?

Sczhuan pesto

5 Likes

Yeah I think this is right, unless maybe it’s Kenji’s realest dealest Kung pao chicken.

Well shit, this went faster than I expected, ya’ll are sharp. Clue #2 is Sichuan pepper, from there it’s a coin toss between mapo tofu and kung-pao. I was gonna make peanuts clue #3.

3 Likes

Hey, no love lost for Kung pao chicken that pulls out the szechuan peppercorns. Looks great.

I might get more shit for this than my piping hot Kate Bush takes, but I think Szechuan peppercorns are a highly overrated ingredient. They are OK, but the numbing/tingling does nothing for me. I prefer straight heat.

Edit: I’d still smash that Kung Pao Chicken.

1 Like

I straight up hated it at first but it has an addicting element to it.

Sounds like it is the cigarette of spices.