Cooking Good Food - Ramens of the day

Thanks. Don’t have a charcoal grill, so it’s probably not going to be the best version, but with that combo of ingredients I’m sure it should be good no matter what.

Yeah, gas grill or even just broiled, the ingredients will carry you as long as you don’t badly overcook the chicken.

Anyone make homemade chilli crisp? Thinking of making some today but recipes online seem to vary from a few ingredients to like 25. Is the more extreme version going to be worth it?

Fav recipe?

This seems like trying to make ketchup at home. I mean you could do it, but you’re not going to beat a bottle of Heinz.

Just get some Lao Gan Ma and spend your time and effort cooking something to eat it with.

home made ketchup beats heintz every time

1 Like

Really? I’m willing to reconsider, since my experience w/ homemade ketchup is limited. Anyone else on the homemade ketchup>Heinz bandwagon.

Obviously, Heinz can’t be an ingredient in the “homemade” ketchup.

Pretty much every “food” with high fructose corn syrup as a top ingredient is going to be improved by either making or buying a version without HFCS. That shit is nasty.

Is there really a noticeable taste difference between HFCS and cane/beet sugars?

Have you had a Mexican coke?

Got some Cleveland Kraut products from the grocery. First time seeing them. Pretty damn good.

i grow my own tomatoes. they are sweeter than sugar

1 Like

Mapo Tofu. Never had it before but definitely adding it to the list.

6 Likes

What kind of tofu did you use? What kind of process did you use to get the moisture out?

That gets me every time and has basically put me off tofu except for rare occasions.

I was neutral to no on tofu and then my gf busted out a tofu press and fried that shit hard.

Tofu is actually a high touch ingredient so you gotta find a place that treats it with love rather than just dropping some vegan sponginess on your plate.

I don’t even know what a tofu press is, so perhaps that may plug the leak.

Think 1st amendment for bean curd

1 Like

I used a firm tofu from Target. Nothing fancy. I didn’t do anything to it. Just dumped it in towards the end. Recipe was from Kenjis new book. He also did a video a couple days ago.

2 Likes

For mapo tofu I would recommend just getting a soft tofu, no pressing, just put chunks of silky soft tofu in and gently fold it in.

What do you all think is the optimal reverse sear temperature for smoking/grilling steaks? Does the ideal cooking temperature change when you want to cook chicken or fish?

Assume you are using the reverse sear method for evenness of cooking AND for wood/smoke flavor.

What if you could hit 125F? Like, sous vide but for BBQ steaks.

I am trying to brainstorm how to improve and/or automate the reverse sear grilling process.

I’ve learned from Kenji that he:

1. Usually thinks buying firm or super firm tofu is silly, given his preference for softer tofu;
  2. Doesn’t usually marinate tofu, since he’d prefer to taste the tofu and have the sauce be on the outside.

I recently made crispy tofu without marinating it first. It tasted really bland, possibly because it was extra-firm tofu that I still pressed to get out the water. I’ll go back to marinating tofu before frying it.

1 Like