Cooking Good Food - Ramens of the day

Watching old Yan Can Cook videos as one does, what an absolute boss

It’s my opinion that there is no competition in this thread and that all readers win whenever anyone posts good food, which I think we both did.

I had been thinking about getting into a wok for a bit now, and you’re further pushing me in that direction. I’m thinking about asking for that as a father’s day present, with perhaps the outdoor burner setup as a Christmas request.

My go-to for salmon on the gas bbq is to mix olive oil, soy sauce, lime juice, minced garlic, and cilantro together, place the filets on aluminum foil and cover with the mixture a minute or two before they go onto the bbq, then crank it and close the lid for ~12 minutes. Always perfect and leftovers make insanely good sandwiches/cracker spread when mixed with mayo. Highly recommend trying it this way.

This makes me so mad, I hate you Bay Area dudes who have easy access to Asian ingredients and don’t even have a wok, what are you doing. I’m watching old Yan Can Cooks where he’s like “go get out a lotus leaf and your bamboo rice steamer from your local grocery store.” WTF where do I get lotus leaves at my local Meijers. This was back in the early 80’s.

1 Like

The restaurant business is very difficult with tiny margins. My brother literally cannot find staff right now even with incentives far above the traditional hiring model.

For the model to continue prices are going higher, not lower.

Shorties coming off marinade and ready for the smoker.

3 Likes

Time for a 5 hour bath.

5 Likes

Final result was a cold noodle salad w veggies, herbs, nuoc cham, and peanuts + sliced warm-ish short ribs glazed w reduced sauce.

Relatively easy, so delicious, yet still satisfying in this 93 degree New England heat and humidity.

13 Likes

Mighty fine looking meal

1 Like

It’s no shortrib but was a delicious 30 minute shrimp coconut curry.

6 Likes

Looks great!

Think this is still considered the gold standard re: French cooking for the American home cook. Not sure if this is what you’re asking, but ¯_(ツ)_/¯

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0375413405/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_M4V2VCBZHRVW4PGEZX4K_nodl

Ah yeah I’m not [[[DEEP]]] into French cuisine and may never be, was just looking for general trap avoidance. All I know is that French roast is garbáge to be avoided at all cost. I ended up getting my mom the ATK subscrip that was suggested and that seems to be working out pretty well. How about Julia Child though, a true OG and gangsta.

3 Likes

That looks so good. What is the sauce?

Don’t judge the sauce it’s a drunken snack lol.

Fermented black bean paste
Sriracha
Tamari
Rice vinegar
Miso
Hoisen
Butter
Garlic
Ginger

No idea on the quantities but it tastes great.

2 Likes

Thinking of making buldak. I seem to remember a recipe in this thread that looked pretty good. Search function failed me. Think it might have been @MrWookie, but not sure. Anyone have a good one to recommend.

Serious Eats as per usual.

1 Like

Thanks!

How is the spice level on the default recipe? Did you feel the need to add any extra heat?

Nah, it was hot enough for me, but since the sauce is cooked separately from the chicken, you’ll have ample opportunity to taste it and amp it up if you want.

1 Like