Cooking Good Food - Ramens of the day

But using oil assumes they already have sufficient moisture, I think. And for mass-produced, my understanding is that’s a piece of the puzzle.

Yes, arepas are definitely a lot more work. If you’re not in the mood they kind of suck. If you are in the mood they are kind of fun.

My experience has been that very light oiling for tortillas allows them to soften without making them crispy or be “a different thing”, IMO. I do think experimenting with different brands helps, too. I’ve definitely had some store bought corn tortillas that just sucked no matter what you did to them.

I usually toast them briefly over a gas flame without additional moisture, and I find that satisfactory. Does the quick rinse help all that much?

I have found with some brands that taste particularly “stale” (for lack of a better word) the rinse really helps. I try not to buy those brands anymore though.

Shrimp chow mein, loosely based on the YT video by Sue and Gambo. I added yellow onion, baby bok choy, and Chinese sausage and didn’t measure anything. Pretty good and easy to make.

5 Likes

Oh, I made a good steak the other day that I forgot to post

Smoked at low heat on the Weber kettle for about an hour until ~110 F internal, then finished in ghee in my cast iron pan.

8 Likes

What would you guestimate was the final internal temperature after the searing?

120 to 130, depending on where the probe is.

That’s a great looking single-serving steak. What did the rest of the Wookies eat?

2 Likes

In other steak news, has the NY strip fallen massively out of favor? I went to Costco looking for flap meat or hanger steak to make carne asada, which they didn’t have this time. I looked at the flank steak, but it was more expensive than the sirloin, and then the NY strip was even cheaper than sirloin! Same grade, choice. So, we’ll be doing NY strip carne asada, which seems pretty silly, but it’s supposed to be with less expensive cuts of beef, which is apparently NY strip.

Always been a big strip fan, i probably eat it more than ribeye.

I thought for a minute your plate was a tortilla, and was very confused by the pasta + tortilla combo

1 Like

Bruce, you’ve made a lot of posts over the years that this community has flagged. This may top them all.

The flashbacks to babysitting my nephew by watching shitty Nickelodeon shows is not cool. Especially not in this delicious safe space of a thread.

Split the strip steaks in half horizontally to make them thinner, then used Kenji’s marinade/salsa recipe

Came out great. Strip loin meat was nice, as the increased tenderness relative to flap meat or skirt steak made the tacos easier to eat.

4 Likes

I don’t know how you’re going to go back to skirt or flank after that.

General question:

How do I avoid all of the pretend internet Paula Deans and their adscam content farms of whitewashed, Karenized Pinterest bullshit when I’m trying to learn a new dish or cuisine? Seems like they’ve completely captured the search engines for any kind of food that exists.

I think you all do a lot of French in here? That’s something I literally know nothing about, but switch it to something I do know: coffee. If you tried to hit the search engines for coffee advice, decent chance you’d be led astray onto some super mega bullshit by scammy idiots that don’t know shit. Instead, you could bypass all of that by me telling you exactly where to look. Does that exist here?

This is a really terrible recent development. The whole first page of Google search for recipes is full of sites with a 5,000-word story about how they learned to cook something from their grandma or some bullshit like that and then give you a crappy recipe.

Anyway, I always add something like “serious eats” or “kenji” or some other legit recipe site to the term I’m searching to avoid all the crappy results.

1 Like

I kinda go back to the saying I echoed a while back in this thread, that techniques are universal, but recipes are just opinions. Serious Eats teaches good techniques and explains why they are good. That helps a ton, and there are others. Gordon Ramsey utoobz, the OOT steak thread, Kenji’s cookbook, and others are all sources that emphasize teaching the technique, so, I guess, hang out at sources that emphasize that. At the same time, if I’m looking farther afield for something novel, it’s easy to spot bad recipes by people who know nothing if the recipe suggests using bad techniques. Now, maybe that recipe has an appealing mix of ingredients that you can fix by using better techniques, or maybe you just move on.

1 Like

Yeah, the legit sites is what I’m asking for I guess. I just default assume that search engine hits are all ad scams based on other things I know well being that way. It easily captures people like my mom who aren’t internet savvy, fall for these fake stories, and only cook by following recipes to the letter. And that’s how we end up getting “authentic Mexican tacos” that have flour tortillas and sour cream or tikka masala that requires some Betty Crocker product.