Cooking Good Food - Ramens of the day

I thought this was one of those things where a traditional food that was once abundant has become something that is now in greater global demand so the locals don’t eat as much of it. When I was a kid growing up in Nova Scotia in the 80s we got lobster whenever we wanted because Dad would just like trade some deer steaks for lobster or something and they weren’t considered delicacies.

Going with salmon and colcannon (basically mashed potatoes).

IMG_0753b

4 Likes

No posts in more than a week?

Sturgeon! First time cooking it. Made my usual herb buerre blanc, this time lemon basil. Came out great. Sturgeon is really delicious. My oldest was asking for it again for her birthday.

1 Like

I’ve had it at least once before, in a very nice restaurant in Napa, and it was fantastic. I think I’ve only seen it for purchase at specialty fishmongers before. I found this at a shishi grocery near me, but I don’t think they regularly carry it.

The smoked sturgeon at this famous old school NY deli is really good. It’s the only place I’ve had sturgeon.

Made Kenji’s Italian-American Tomato Sauce last night.

Outrageously good. Served it w Bucatini and Meatballs (from Daniel Gritzer of SE).

Excess meatball mixture gets browned and combined w tomato sauce, then the meatballs are simmered in that combo to finish cooking (after being browned). A little pasta water and parm to bring it all together.

As usual, no photo of finished product as everyone was so eager to eat.

8 Likes

Yep yep yep. We do this all the damn time and it is wonderful every single one of them. Might be overdue to do it again.

Wild sockeye salmon brushed with maple syrup a few times during the smoke. Next job for the smoker will likely be decarbing an ounce of trim.

11 Likes

Beautiful

Any opinions on this pan? Need a new versatile daily user.

Until recently, we used 2 Always Pans constantly. Great for searing, steaming, stewing, basically anything I’d ever want to do for my wife and I for dinner I can do in these pans. Big drawback is that they aren’t oven safe, other than that I love them.

My friends at Ninja make the Possible Pan, which is nearly identical to Always Pan and it is oven safe.

Our Always Pans got so much use that they discolored and got gross looking, so we replaced them with 2 Possible Pans. No difference between the 2 products, except that I can now go pan-to-oven if I’m cooking fish or something.

Long winded way of saying - consider the Possible Pan.

I’m actually replacing my Always Pan. Mine wore out way faster that it should have considering the price. Wasn’t that impressed. I’ll check out the Possible Pan. Thanks.

Was this just an aesthetic thing or did it affect the results in any way?

Aesthetic, I’m an elitist cookware owner I guess.

Everything I’ve ever heard about the Always Pan is that it sucks.

“Always” but it doesn’t go in the oven.

jlawok.gif

1 Like

Anyone here have thoughts on corn tortillas? Mostly in how to get good quality tortillas if you don’t have a local place making them, and how to get the most of them in your house. I recently bought a big batch of these (el milagro) and have been experimenting. I’ve been giving them a quick rinse of water and then either warming 10-20 seconds per side in a dry skillet or over a gas flame. From there, they still rest/steam a few minutes.

My results are pretty good but not great. Sometimes the tortillas take in too much water and lose structure. I think a spray bottle might be good. I’ve seen folks dipping them in a bowl of water.

Are you opposed to making your own? They are fairly easy.

Yeah, I’m not going down that path right now. “Opposed” wouldn’t be right, I just don’t need another task these days, and I eat a lot of tacos.

2 Likes

With standard grocery store tortillas, I have got my best results cooking them in a pan with a teeny tiny brushing of oil. They seem to soften up well enough to pliable without adding water, and a light amount of oil makes them more resistant to getting soggy from fillings.

I also have become a convert where many things we used to make into tacos we now make into arepas. I have come around to preferring fresh made arepas to store bough tortillas.

Arepas are good, but that feels like even more work.

I’ve also know people use oil. In my experience you wind up with a different kind of taco–I often warm then in oil, sometimes doubling them up and and even frying the inside tortillas so that it is crisp and has some char. But at that point it feels like a different thing.

It’s possible I’m already getting about as much as possible out of non-fresh corn tortillas.