Cooking Good Food - Ramens of the day

Currently frying a half pound of garlic. My apartment neighbors are going to hate or love me.

Worth it.

1 Like

What’s the plan for that?

Having friends over for soup dumpling night. Stir frying bok choy as a side and going to garnish with fried garlic. Also doing a smash cucumber chili salad.

I took the easy way out and order 150 soup dumplings from Xiao Chi Jie out of Bellevue. Never had them but heard they were good.

One day I’ll make my own but today is not that day.

1 Like

Heh, we’ll be doing dumplings and stir fried bok choy this weekend, too. It’s one of my girls’ favorite meals, and we’re having family over to celebrate my youngest’s birthday.

We use this recipe all the time, but with bok choy and maybe also asparagus or snap peas or something that cooks quickly without needing the blanching step:

We made our own regular dumplings, and that was enough work on its own. Soup dumplings, nah. I’ll just buy them.

1 Like

Great minds think alike. Thanks for the recipe. I thought I had oyster sauce in the fridge but I’m out so I’ll probably do a variation of what you posted instead.

1 Like

This is also on the agenda:

You should get Kenjis new book if you haven’t yet. It’s as great as the first.

Oooh I have some pork belly in the freezer I’ve been sitting on. I might make this!

While corned beef is associated with the Irish-American celebration of St. Patrick’s Day, has anyone here sought to mark the occasion by making something else from Irish cuisine? I kind of want a full Irish breakfast, but I’m not making black pudding from scratch and I don’t know where to buy it near me.

We’ll be doing this this year:

I sometimes make Irish beef/lamb stew and colcannon. Think I might do some kind of salmon thing this year.

Are the Irish known for their salmon dishes?

They’re not known for it but salmon is a traditional Irish staple.

Maybe it will be salmon with an Irish whiskey glaze.

Good lord you guys eat a lot.

I think people in the US forget how much Irish/Celtic food is seafood-based. Like seaweed cakes is a traditional food of Wales.

Can’t forget if you’ve never heard of it.

1 Like

Also fair to say if I had ever heard of “seaweed cakes”, I probably would’ve blocked that shit out.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/why-do-irish-people-not-eat-more-fish-1.1412255