Cooking Good Food - Ramens of the day

Scariest oven symbols I’ve ever seen.

Although they may cook food in an instant, I’d avoid using the radioactive settings on the left. Also would not recommend the “burn witch” setting on the top right. That shit is so 17th century.

2 Likes

Witches are delicious if you brown them first with a Maillard reaction.

Please post a link to Kenji’s browned witch recipe when you get a chance.

2 Likes

Kenji’s recipe for burning witches used 9 pots and takes 4 days.

2 Likes

He also gives the obligatory comparison picture with varying degrees of skin crispness.

2 Likes

Chef John on YouTube is very much like this, everything is pretty basic but solid.

Top left looks like convection oven, all heating elements. Below it, convection oven, top element only. Top right, defrost fan only (no heat), below that, conventional oven, top element only. Bottom center is conventional oven, all heating elements. Not sure about the minimal elements.

1 Like

Bottom centre? Theres only 6 options. The image at the bottom is a label for the dial I think.

@MrWookie or anyone else experienced with it, I’ve got a ridiculously marbled piece of wagyu that I’m cooking tonight. I usually pan reverse sear with oil and butter, should i stick with that plan or is there so much fat in the steak that i could just cook it dry?

Is there a strip of fat on the side? I would try to render that first. Especially if this is your first fancy wagyu, I’d avoid using butter or oil, because while they would add to the overall flavor, they might also cover up some of the nuances of the wagyu flavor also.

There is a nice fat strip i could set it on before cooking, I’ll try that and keep the pan free of any other fats unless i think it’s not working. I was kind of thing the same thing wrt to oil/butter masking the flavor.

Pic of steak for reference.

6 Likes

Yeah, perfect. Render the fat on the edge there, and just use that. You should have plenty. How thick is the steak? Wagyu is usually thinner than the standard 1-1.5", so you might think about just starting out on high heat to sear right off the bat rather than trying for a full reverse sear process.

1 Like

Around 1" thick, maybe a tad under I didn’t measure but it was thinner than cuts I usually buy. I picked out the thickest cut too. Came out amazing and tasted amazing, A+ would do again. Great texture, super tender with a buttery but still beefy flavor. I added a little splash of oil a little ways into the cooking process but by the time I was done there was plenty of fat in the pan so it probably wasn’t needed.

Top 3 steak I’ve had/cooked for sure, split it with my wife but could have ate more. This was Australian wagyu about 20 oz, they had Japanese A5 ribeye at the butcher but I opted for this one. I suppose I’ll have to give the A5 a shot sometime but everything I’ve heard about that is you can really only eat a small portion of it in one sitting, so it’s more like an addition to a meal instead of the centerpiece of it.

EMC

7 Likes

Top quality steak and execution. Elbows too pointy though

Dayuuum, looks amazing

Per the 22 steak thread, Costco has been using a jaccard on their meat (or at least beef) for a very long time. You’re not dead, and you’d probably eaten a lot of Costco meat.

2 Likes

I just went to one of the main international markets here in Indy. Holy shit I’m in love. The amount of fresh produce, fish, and uncommon meats was mind blowing.

I went to stock up on a bunch of different sauces that Kenji recommended in his new book and left with a hell of a lot more than that.

3 Likes

This is the first I’ve heard of a jaccard.

What is the perceived downside of it?

Surf is worried that any bacteria on the outside surface of the meat get poked into the middle, making it unsafe to eat when cooked to sub-pasteurization temperatures. Essentially the same thinking as to why someone would eat a medium rare steak but not a medium rare hamburger. I’m not really sure how big this effect actually is.

Thanks. I guess I will continue to ignore it.

I’m good with a burger a bit under medium-well also. I haven’t really worried about that although I know it is frowned upon.