Cooking Good Food - Ramens of the day

7 Likes

As unappetizing as ever. Sorry.

1 Like

My daughter bought me this gift pack for Xmas. I’ve been really enjoying them, especially the Tomatillo, Fatalii, and Mango/Hab flavors.

2 Likes

Needs raw onions. And maybe oyster crackers.

I agree with sous vide for pork loin/chop. Season it simply with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Portion out and freeze the extras.

The last few times I used sous vide for a pork loin:
Roast brussel sprouts (halved and tossed in salt, pepper, and olive oil) in a hot oven for about 20-30 min before you plan to pull the loin out of the sous vide (set to 155-ish for 2-ish hours). Toss the sprouts in the juice from the bag and finish roasting the loin on a grate over the the sprouts for 15-30 min in a somewhat-less hot oven until the loin is browned and some fat has rendered onto the sprouts. Pull the loin, cover with foil, continue roasting the sprouts until done, and then toss with a little balsamic. Slice the loin and serve with the porky, tangy, bitter sprouts.

It takes next to no effort, one pan gets dirty, and is maybe not bad for you?

Does anybody know why capers come in such stupidly tall/narrow jars? I am outraged every time I want to make my favorite smoked mackerel toast for breakfast. No one should have to deal with this nonsense.

For our bit of performative solidarity with Ukraine, we’re making borsht. First time I’ve tried this.

Pork belly, ham shank, marrow bones, and big ol chunk of uncut short ribs that Costco was selling for much less than the cut ones. Yes please.

We’re blending a bit of East and West technique here. Lotta eastern soup bases have you parboil the meat, toss the water, and then boil again so that you get rid of the crud that first comes out of the meat when you start boiling it. French technique is to sear the meat and then skim the crud off the top after you start boiling. We’re going with sear in one pot, parboil in the other, then back into the main pot. Extra pot to clean, yes, but easier than standing there skimming foam for a while.

Didn’t quite remove all the foam-making proteins, so there’s a bit to skim, but it’s much cleaner. Now we wait for 3 hrs.

2 Likes

remember to eat it with sour cream and some chopped greens!

Absolutely on the sour cream, although I think I only have fresh dill as a green garnish. Should I have gotten something in addition?

russians put dill into everything, but i don’t know if it’s a particular ukranian thing to do. i personally go with thinly chopped green scallions.

I almost always have those on hand, so that’s easy.

Scandinavians do this also. I think it was basically the only herb they had access to for a long time.

I confess I went non-traditional and used a mix of golden and regular beets here. With small kids, I wanted a little milder beety flavor, even if I did want some of the purple color.

So the final product was a bit more red than purple, but it was really delicious. Shattered MrsWookie’s expectations. But man, the Serious Eats recipe is HUDGE. We’re probably going to have to give some of this away, and thankfully we have friends with a 1 month old who might not mind some meal support.

4 Likes

i didn’t realize this, but today was the first day of Maslenitsa. Ukrainian tradition says they make pierogis and syrniki.

My wife has a serious pierogis problem. She will mow through a ton of them EVERY time they’re on the menu at a pub and then complain all night about how “gross” she feels from eating so many pierogis. She will then proceed to obtain more pierogis at the earliest possible opportunity.

2 Likes

i would say this is gross, but i have no leg to stand on.

1 Like

What fillings?

Lots of traditional ones (potato, cheese, etc.) but the one weird one she makes at home, that I must admit is pretty good, is baked apple and bacon.

Okay. I’ve been struggling with this for a while. Cant make sense of the settings on my oven.

I’m renting. For some reason. The symbols on my oven rubbed off. So I was guessing for a while.

By luck. Visited a neighbours and realised it was identical but with the symbol so I snapped a pic.

Theres a smeg oven guide online. Here

https://blog.fantasticservices.com/the-homeowners-manual-to-smeg-oven-symbols-meaning-controls-and-settings-guide/

This has all the symbols. But as far as I can tell. It’s all grill?

Any ideas? Any guess what the closest to a regular oven would be?

I’ve generally been using the top left. Fan and grill. It’s crazy hot, but good for most things I do.

Feels like grill alone should be a conventional oven and grill plus fan should be a convection oven.

1 Like