Cooking Good Food - Ramens of the day

A well-seasoned cast iron pan that’s very hot when you put the fish down, and enough oil to completely coat the bottom, combine to make this pretty consistent in my hands. I should get a better fish spatula, though.

1 Like

Yeah that’s where I messed up, when I went to flip it I left half of it in the cast iron skillet. It was a brand new skillet and was the first thing I cooked in it.

1 Like

Heh, mistakes were made, but certainly forgivable ones.

I’ll try again. My skillet now looks like Exxon Valdez ran aground in it

1 Like

What is everyone planning for the Super Bowl?

Velveeta and evidence of something resembling nutrition but nahhhhh

2 Likes

Probably another batch of Cincinnati-style chili.

1 Like

100% having breakfast/lunch at Skyline.

Over the top smoked chili.

1 Like

Made Kenji’s beef stew. It was really fucking good. Worth the effort.

1 Like

@MrWookie , ever do over the top chili?

Not sure exactly what you mean. Kenji’s chili from his cookbook is pretty over the top, but it’s not self-described as such, so probably not? That’s the most over the top chili I’ve made.

Over the top chili - make your normal base however you want. Take your raw, seasoned ground beef, make a big loaf out of it, set it on a grate on top of your pot of chili, put in smoker for a couple of hours. When the meat is cooked, crumble it up and put it in the pot.

Alright, that’s not at all what I was picturing. Never done it, never heard of it, but it sounds pretty delicious. Seems a little unnecessary for ground beef, though. Ever thought about using cubed chuck?

Sure, chuck or a brisket would work too, just would take a lot longer to smoke.

I’ve made lots of chili with leftover smoked brisket, but never did an over the top chili with one.

1 Like

From Belly to Bacon

This blog has been collecting dust for a few years, but is a great resource for out-of-the-box thinking about cooking.

I get those all the time from Costco, but I usually just cut them myself into 1.5" thick chops, seal, and freeze them for sous vide + sear later.

Getting some Super Bowl eats together

2 Likes

Getting ready for the Super Bowl.

\

So, we have an old family recipe for Sauerkraut Balls, in which we blended kraut, sausage, onion, and a few spices and bound them together with cream cheese, then breaded and fried them. We did that this year, and I was inspired to do something similar with kimchi and chopped galbi, seen here.

1 Like