Cooking Good Food - Ramens of the day

Is basil.

First time eating Pho?

You’ve been missing out.

The side plate of garnishes (including basil) is standard, in my experience. I’ve never had delivery pho, but 100% of my pho restaurant experiences involve a separate plate with basil, sprouts, peppers, etc. on it.

I know one of you has to have made this so I need help. My wife loves Pei Wei’s Dan Dan noodles and I want yo make it at home, but im trying to find some recipe somewhere online and nothing is calling out to me. Has anybodymade great Dan Dan noodles and has a recipe to share?

Kenji’s got a recipe, but I’ve never been to a Pei Wei to say how like this is to theirs.

This is by far the best dan dan noodles recipe I’ve made at home.

It is tryhard lasagna day

From scratch tomato sauce (Kenji’s), from scratch pasta.

7 Likes

Sorry, not trying hard enough if you also didn’t make the cheese at home, preferably from milk that you got by personally yanking on the cow’s udders yourself.

1 Like

The cheese was merely shredded at home. Make America Grate Again.

Still doesn’t count unless you forge your own lasagna pan and bake it in an over you assembled yourself from bricks. And don’t try any of that inauthentic “bricks from the store” shit.

Looks good to me. How good was the flavor? I made lasagna in a glass pan one day and it came out fantastic. Anyone know if the pan material has any impact on lasagna? I haven’t tried it again in the glass container because the metal pan I have is a lot bigger.

Tasted awesome. Kenji’s tomato sauce adds so much more flavor than something out of a jar, even pretty decent stuff like Rao’s.

I’ve done lasagna in a glass pan. Came out fine, don’t see why the material would make a big difference.

1 Like

Same. We have had both a glass dish and a ceramic casserole dish and lasagna is great in both. I think lasagna is an almost unstoppable culinary force, there is basically no way to make a casserole of noodles and meat sauce and as many kinds of cheese as you can jam in that thing and it doesn’t turn out amazing. I think the only lame lasagnas I’ve ever had were vegetarian attempts by unskilled cooks - if you don’t get the water out of the veggies before baking, veggie lasagna can suck. But even with veggie lasagna a little care in preparation yields a great outcome.

Now I’m going to make lasagna tonight. Nom nom nom gimme all the cheeses.

4 Likes

Metal and glass conduct heat differently, so it can make some difference. For example, brownies baked in glass are more likely to overcook because the glass takes longer to cool off. A lasagna is more dense and cooks for longer than brownies, so the impact of the material might not matter as much, but I’d guess that the longer cooking time for glass might produce crispier edges.

[Article also recommends glass for tomato-heavy applications b/c the acidity can react with some metals]

I definitely believe in the difference for baking. Baking is sensitive, lasagna is forgiving.

Has anyone actually personally experienced one of these alleged “tomato acid reacts badly with metal” situations? This seems to be something that food blogger types have been warning me about since forever but it seems really theoretical to me. Reading food blogs you’d think that tomato juice will disintegrate cast iron pans in seconds.

1 Like

I think tomatoes are fairly mild pH wise compared to most fruits. Like your common berries, rhubarb, probably apples. People baking pies should be more worried about that (are they? I doubt it) than someone making tomatoe sauce.

For pies, the ph of the fruit filling probably doesn’t matter as much b/c the crust is providing a barrier between the filling and the cooking vessel. For things like cobblers that typically don’t have a bottom crust, the site I linked earlier (and some cook books I’ve read) do recommend glass, but, for a casual home baker it’s probably a “smoke what you got” kinda situation.

homer

6 Likes

I really need to try this again. I tried it once years ago, fked it all to shit, retreated to my baked salmon safe space.