Cooking Good Food - Ramens of the day

Yeah, I guess I’d just start with Serious Eats then. They have some more dubious stuff buried in their archives, but just about anything there that goes into why the food is being cooked the way it is instead of some other way should be pretty trustworthy. There are some others, but SE has pretty good ethnic coverage and makes a pretty good one-stop shop.

1 Like

Serious Eats was the kind of answer I was looking for (I had no idea if it was actually considered legit). My mom refuses to cook anything without following a recipe literally line for line and seems bewildered that I can just throw stuff into a pan and cook it. I’m asking mostly for her to get her off of these bullshit content farms. We do family events where everyone brings a dish and the last few from her have been (afaict) just ads for specific ingredients from content farms that turned out to be awful.

1 Like

I often recommend people go back and check out The Minimalist, a NYT series of videos by Mark Bittman. They focus on technique over recipe, but my guess is that many here might find them too simple. Or maybe not. It’s a lot of “here’s one way to do it,” rather than “traditional” or “best.”

Looks like 3 seasons on YT.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=the+minimalist+mark+bittman+

Surely Julia Child would be the first stop for learning French Cooking? Making it accessible to American housewives was the whole point of her book.

America’s Test Kitchen recipes have a “Why this works” section that explains how they overcame issues or improved on a famous item like Pizza Hut’s personal pan pizza. A membership would get her away from the content farms for $70/year and be a decent Mother’s Day gift.

1 Like

I would go with this guy. Lots of free stuff on YouTube.

Wife went to Florida with her mom. That means I bike around the city drinking beers all day and then cook a steak and some potatoes for me and the dog.

8 Likes

Curious about why you cut it up if you’re eating it yourself. I find that if I don’t do that, the steak holds its heat better and stays warmer from the first bite to the last.

Nevertheless, I’d happily eat that as shown.

Kenji potatoes?

Because I’m sitting on a balcony with the food on my lap. Just easier.

Potato’s were a drunken recipe consisting of:

Cut Yukon Golds into bite size pieces.
Toss with olive oil

Abomination of spices from the cabinet.

400 for 45 minutes

Broil for 5 while the steak rests.

1 Like

Potatoes sound perfect

1 Like

My prefered spicing method

1 Like

+1. Seems solid. Bonus points for some heat in there.

Have been eating meat once a week or so for the past few months…

Converted this

(Not pictured: granulated sugar, honey)
(Couldn’t find Korean chili flakes so I’m using the gringo shit)

Into a marinade for pork shoulder. Smoking for 9 hours tomorrow.

Reserved 1 cup of marinade to glaze with during cooking.

5 Likes

12 Likes

Anyone celebrating the defeat of French imperialists at the Battle of Puebla?

What is the pear for? Acidity? Never heard of pear in a marinade. Cool.

It’s common in Korean marinades. It tastes good and also acts as a tenderizer.

People need to add more anchovies to stuff.

2 Likes

Cool. I didn’t know that. I’ve never cooked Korean I guess. Eat it lots! :grin: