Cooking Good Food - Ramens of the day

Totally agree

1 Like

I’m with Rogan on this one. Cooking meat makes it significantly better.

1 Like

Cooked meat is for wimpy soy boys.

i just slice a lemon and stack the slices in a jar with sugar or honey. makes delicious syrup. you can flavor a few things with slices afterwards or just toss them.

Joe Rogan inspired me to cook meat over a fire

9 Likes

Happy to report that I renewed my membership in the Clean Plate Club

8 Likes

How exactly did you cook the roast? That’s a perfect 10.

I use a variation on Kenji’s recipe. Roast in a 200 degree oven until center reaches 120F. Let rest under foil for 30 minutes or longer. Finish in pan with smoking vegetable oil, about 90 seconds per side.

1 Like

I don’t think I’ve ever contemplated the pan sear on the roast, but normally I get much larger ones for leftovers.

Were you able to sear all surfaces of the roast? Aluminum pan? Why not cast iron?

Looks like a well-loved stainless steel All-Clad to me.

I guess it could be. But cast iron should still get hotter, right?

I only bothered with the two meaty sides and the long edge of the fat cap. Could have propped it up at various angles if I wanted to sear more sides, but I was pleased with these results. The pan is one of those composite All-Clad types. I don’t have a cast iron pan because of space constraints.

They both can get equally hot, but cast iron cools down a little less when you put meat on it. Both should sear well.

Well whatever you did, don’t change a thing. I don’t think it gets better than that.

What do you guys do with salmon fillets? I usually either just bake it or do a Scandinavian-style salmon poached in milk if I feel like a fancy lad, but I’m hankreing for something different.

try gravlax

I try to avoid cured meats and also charred meats whenever possible.

My family’s main ways of cooking salmon:

1. “Smoke poached.” Which is, wrap a cookie sheet in foil for easier clean up. Place salmon, season with salt and pepper, arrange a few slivers of butter over the fish, top with green onions. Pour a bit of white wine in the pan to cover the thinnest parts of the fish. Smoke on the Weber kettle, indirect but high heat with plenty of wood on the coals, for 10-12 minutes to 120 F in the thickest part of the fish. This could be imitated in the oven (400-450 F).
  2. This, but without the rice bowl: Easy Teriyaki-Glazed Salmon, Cucumber, and Avocado Rice Bowls Recipe
  3. Like #2, but with an herb buerre blanc sauce instead of teriyaki sauce.
  4. A way my folks started doing but that I’m not totally sold on: like #1, but coat the salmon in hollandaise instead of anything else, then smoke on the Weber.
1 Like

Pan seared salmon is a very simple and delicious way to cook salmon. We have this at least once a week at our house.

1 Like

I done that.