Cooking Good Food - Ramens of the day

The manual claims that it targets the wet-bulb temperature, so it should account for evaporative cooling.

If the convection can brown meat well then you could come up with reverse sear programs that would make cooking meat way easier than sous vide. It would come out of the oven perfect just pressing the button. And if it shoots for wet bulb temp then the open braises I describe would be great. Just assemble your braise and let it whirl away. 195 would be perfect for pot roast or brisket and the dry heat would produce continuous browning at the surface.

It goes to 482 F?

Crème brûlée was insanely easy and perfect (except for the brûlée part, which is on me). Infuse cream, blend in eggs, pour into ramekins, put in oven, take out, completely perfect texture.

The fish was also excellent, although the temp reported by the prob was alarmingly erratic. It may just be that it reports to the 0.1 F, but presumably is less accurate than that. Operator error also cannot be wholly ruled out.

I’m surprised to find myself saying this, but I can see myself using the oven as my go-to precision cooker over SV, unless I have some flavorful sauce I want it to cook in. It’s a lot more convenient, and you can reasonably pop open the oven to check on things. There are also interesting possibilities for programs varying humidity over time, like cooking some tough beef roast at 100% humidity for 48 hours or something, then shifting to dry heat for a couple hours to prep for searing on the stove. I might do an experiment, but I think the heat is not going to be good enough for searing in the oven.

3 Likes

This is enlightening:

If you know the wet bulb temperature of your cooking environment, you can achieve sous-vide-like results even at lower humidity. And this is a powerful advantage.

For instance, suppose you’re cooking a skin-on turkey leg. Inside a sous vide bag, everything is humidified, including the skin which soaks up water and becomes rubbery. Getting that skin crispy after cooking becomes a major challenge. But if you were to cook the same turkey leg at the same wet bulb temperature but in a dry oven , the meat will achieve the same perfect doneness while the skin stays dry and ready to crackle.

2 Likes

Late Christmas prime rib.

Sous vide until middle was around 135. Let rest for an hour and seared in 500 degree oven:

Plate not photographed, but served with mushroom risotto, roasted potatoes, butternut squash, and dinner rolls.

9 Likes

Elite chocolate chip cookie.

Recipe

4 Likes

Looks fantastic.

Did you actually use pecans? Never had a pecan chocolate chip cookie. Seems like it would be a bit weird.

I guess you’ve never had Derby Pie.

I actually have had chocolate pecan pie (not sure if it was that exact one) and I do like that.

Just not sure how it would work in cookie form. Seems like walnuts would be the superior choice for that usage.

So the first time we made these, it was a huge fail. The sheet tray was waaaaaay too thin and the bottoms burned before the cookies were cooked through. And, we used blue box kosher salt instead of Diamond Krystal - different salt densities and the cookies were super salty.

This time around, I used the correct salt and a proper half sheet tray.

First time, used toasted pecans and they were fine. This go round, we used walnuts (not pre-roasted) and they were also fine. The nuts add a bit of toothsome-ness, but that’s kinda it.
The stars of the show are the brown butter and chocolate, IMO.

So much pain in his face though.

1 Like

https://mobile.twitter.com/TurmShrub/status/1477075823240880130

Steak gets a 7/10

i feel like people are way too obsessed with salting their desserts recently. like 50% of the time i eat some home made dessert it’s way too salty. we get it, you saw a cooking show. no salt in my cookie is way better than a salty cookie.

(not related to your delicious looking cookie, just ranting)

Proper salt levels add a whole dimension to a chocolate chip cookie.

Agreed that oversalting is bad and depending on how much, easily worse than no salt at all.

But the optimal amount of salt really hits the spot.

Too much grey band on top

Salt makes flavors pop. It makes the flavor of chocolate pop in the same way it makes steak taste good.

Taking credit for salting a dessert item is lame, agreed. Not everything needs Maldon sea salt on top of it!

Seasoning a dessert recipe with salt to enhance flavors, as a best practice, is critical to next level dessertery.

I hope a woman chef points out to him that he didn’t cook the steak right, so that he will have an amusing hissy fit.

Anyway, Joe, REAL MEAN don’t eat meat unless they killed it themselves with their bare hands. CUCK!

Sure. Most people can’t make next level dessertery. It’s hard to make desserts. You have to weight things and be precise and shit. If joe’s wife at work made cookies and i had to pick between the one she salted and the one she didn’t without tasting, give me the base level dessert every time.

He used to constantly post videos of himself cooking up elk or deer he hunted.