Cooking Good Food - Ramens of the day

Nailed it. Nice work.

1 Like

PORKPICSPLEASE

1 Like

Looks perfect, what temp did you pull it out at?

Pulled at 120.4. Let it rest for about 90ish minutes. And came up to 133.2 before I blasted it at 500 for a few minutes.

How many is “a few minutes”?

I did one with a 10 min blast and I think it was too much.

Set the timer for 5 minutes but pulled it prolly a full minute after that because I was prepping something else.

I’ve seared off ones for 10ish minutes and thought they were too much before as well. 6-8 minutes seems to be the sweet spot.

:+1:

Thanks.

Basically did the same method as 00cooler00. Mine only rested about 45m and rose to ~126F before blasting it at 500F for ~7minutes. I wish I got a good photo of the rack but was focused on finishing up the sides. Served with roasted cauliflower, sautéed broccolini, buttery sweet corn, and some mashed potatoes that needed more heavy cream. All in all, a pretty solid meal and my GF appreciated not having to help for a much needed change of pace.

5 Likes

I had popcorn for dinner

3 Likes

What temperature did you pull it out of the microwave at?

5 Likes

Nah i make my own popcorn in a pot. What are we savages?

3 Likes

Sorry, had to stuff my face.

7 Likes

Our dead soldiers from tonight

2 Likes

Elite. Well done!

1 Like

Dessert

Chocolate cake, mirangue on top and bottom, whipped cream and berry sauce in the middle.

5 Likes

Great stuff @MrWookie . I hope you had a great time and a good holiday season overall.

So I got an Anova Precision Oven for Christmas, which I think is the same as a combi oven. What is this good for? I’m making some crème brûlée now, and have some fish on tap for dinner. I’m thinking of it as just a replacement for sous vide in cases where you don’t want to have to bag the food, but perhaps I’m missing something? Is there a use case for cooking things at low temp with less than 100% humidity? Or for above-boiling temps with steam added?

Steam injection is how professionals bake bread. So it’s probably great for that. I’m not a baker so I don’t know. Dry air sous vide is good for steaks, it dries out the surface so it sears easier. Sometimes I’d do that in a 200 degree oven. But a 135 degree oven, man that would take forever to cook stuff. I don’t know.

It would also be good for braising something covered in a Dutch oven where you don’t want it to boil, you want it at like 190. But you can get the same thing with an open braise at 275, with the added benefit of continuous browning. Evaporation keeps it from ever boiling.

And it might not get to temperature because of evaporation. Don’t know about this…