Cooking Good Food - Ramens of the day

I don’t suppose you have a link to a recipe (even if not exactly the same as the method you used)?

it looks great but gotta ask - what’s with the two orange slices?

My wife, who can’t cook to save her life, bought Molly Baz’s cookbook and surprised me with a candlelit dinner from it. Minty Meatballs with Crispy Cabbage and a Tahini sauce.

8 Likes

I just used the one on the back of the can. There are much better ones online that include minced veggies but I haven’t been to the market so I was short on those:

1 can salmon
2 cups bread crumbs
1/3 cup finely minced onion
1/4 cup milk
2 eggs
2 tblsp. minced parsley
1 tblsp. lemon juice
1/4 tblsp. ea. salt and dill weed
dash pepper
(I added garlic powder and crushed red pepper but the recipe did not call for it)

Drain salmon, preserve 2 tblsp of liquid and add to mixture of the above in a bowl. Flake salmon and add to bowl. Mix everything and pat into patties about an inch thick. Makes about 8. Cook in oil or butter until browned. I used avocado oil. Garnish with more parsley.

I added orange wedges because it felt like it was missing idk something? I didn’t feel like I needed toast or biscuits because of the bread crumbs and they had eggs in them plus I made eggs to go with them so it was more than filling anyhow, I probably could have just had orange juice but I was out of that too :/

If I’d had celery and bell pepper I would have done 'em this way

1 Like

My Jewish mother used to make a baked casserole with canned salmon, waxed yellow beans, eggs and bread crumbs.

It had a crunchy crumb top and was pretty good, especially with some lemon squirted on it.

1 Like

So my initial thought was “this is kinda weird and not satisfying why is this a big deal”. 6 days later i wake up and think what i will cook that will go along with the last two spoons i have left.

I now assume the ingredient that caused @Melkerson’s metalic taste is crack.

I really like a pile of chili crisp in this instant ramen for something fast:

2 Likes

Funny i tried a few instant ramens lately as my local grocery started bringing different brands. I didnt grow up on these things and couldnt find something i like.

Didnt have this one tho

I’m having Sapporo Ichiban tonkotsu ramen with last nights sous vide bottom round for lunch. I added some of the reserved juices to the broth as well, should have added more.

Pretty tasty for just slicing some beef and boiling some water.

8 Likes

I just got a sous vide and am looking for something to do in it. I think I might do this too.

Just don’t look at the sodium amounts on the ramen packages.

1 Like

Biggest benefit of working from home is getting some mean Chili Colorado on the stove at 1:00

8 Likes
2 Likes

My immersion blender finally shit the bed on me today. Need to pick up another one and I’m considering just getting a regular blender. Any recommendations? Vitamix seems like the gold standard but $400 is steep.

Edit: unless the Vitamix is worth it?

I have found an immersion blender to be much more valuable than any standard blender. I would just replace it.

3 Likes

I got MrsWookie the All-Clad immersion blender recommended by Serious Eats, and it’s pretty darn good, and around $100. We still use our standard, cheap, blender for frozen fruit smoothies and a few other applications. I haven’t been convinced yet to spring for a Vitamix, but I know good cooks who swear by them.

4 Likes

I don’t use it very often, but I have an Instant Pot Ace Blender that I like, especially for the soup function.

Here’s a review comparing it favorably to a Vitamix.

https://www.thekitchn.com/instant-pot-blender-vitamix-review-266004

1 Like

Interesting. Reviews at Walmart make it seem like it’s not as reliable as a Vitamix, but you can by 4 or more of those hoping to find a non-lemon for the price of a Vitamix. Basically all blender reviews for blenders under $100 are filled with people complaining about leaks and failures, so this looks pretty interesting in the lower end blender market.

Thanks. I went with that one. Amazon tells me it will arrive in 3 hours… crazy.

I have no idea if this is any good–either value or quality-wise–but I got this with something I bought for Christmas. I’m not going to use it and have no experience with meal kits, but if anyone wants the code, let me know.