Cooking Good Food - Ramens of the day

I think I’ve experienced what @Tilted is seeing, if you add too much fat too quickly to the pan it can be hard to get it to emulsify properly.

1 Like

Rub on the right has sugar in it which is why it’s darker.

12 Likes

I had pretzels for lunch :frowning:

Seems solid if you eat on the later side. Need something light so that you’ve plenty of room for Thanksgiving dinner.

I will likely have the rest of the pretzels for dinner

Ribs and corn custard pie for an appetizer before the more traditional meal. the pie is so damn good wish I could get it all year.

4 Likes

Multiple sincere “this is the best turkey i’ve ever had” compliments last night.

I thought they came out excellent.

5 Likes

I tried making chanko nabe, the traditional food of sumo wrestlers.

IMG_0671

7 Likes

Really?

How many gallons of that do that do they need to eat to get to 300+ lbs. Seems unpossible.

They wash it down with a lot of beer.

Then it looks like your photo is missing something.

I like Sapporo, but I’m a beer amateur.

Smoked a prime rib because we didn’t get fat enough on Thursday.

15 Likes

“Sumo soup” is packed with nutrients and calories. If you’re trying to gain mass you make it with pork meatballs and shrimp and tofu chunks plus big chunks of veggies, and eat it with rice on the side. It’s basically a dense stew.

Looks delicious. I think I’ll try making it.

Downside is that an internet perusal of recipes is like whoa. This is definitely not just one thing with a reasonably well defined set of parameters. It’s a huge diversity of things. Guess I’ll chuck a dart and see what happens.

Every sumo club has its own distinct take on a chanko nabe recipe that is handed down from generation to genration; almost always it involves chicken/shrimp/egg, daikon/carrot, bok choy or some other leafy green, and rice noodles. Green onion and soy sauce and ginger for flavor. Slam some beers and take an afternoon nap for maximum weight gain. The good news is that you can’t mess it up, just do your own thing and roll with it.

1 Like

This guy says the meatballs are the key to his chanko. Feels like the key is to get the broth right and everything else is optional, based on availability and what you like.

1 Like

made this tartouka from nyt, and thought it looked really good. topped with burrata ofc.

6 Likes

I tried smoked oyster carbonata. Kinda fucked up the carbonata part but it was quite tasty.

Oh, I didn’t post this when I made it, but it was delicious.

Broth is a mix of homemade and store bought chicken stock, soy sauce, hondashi, sake, and mirin. Pork meatballs, shrimp, shiitakes, carrots, bok choy, soft boiled egg, udon noodles, green onions. Comes together really quickly. Likely a new regular in the rotation.

4 Likes