Cooking Good Food - Ramens of the day

That guy is such a character.

3 Likes

He also uses professional grade versions at his sausage restaurant Wursthall

Video should start right at the ovens but it’s 7:20 in if not.

I did this a few years ago and the result was delicious. I bought the pieces separate (one breast and two thighs/drums iirc) and followed the chefsteps recipe: https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/a-better-way-to-turkey-cook-that-bird-sous-vide-for-the-best-feast-ever

I didn’t repeat it but I remember getting great reviews on the meal.

Both are convection, so the process is the same, but the heat transfer coefficient is significantly higher for water than it is for air.

Doesn’t matter if you are still bagging it.

1 Like

The brine should be enough, but you might cut off a taste at the end to see if it’s salty enough. A little extra flaky salt served on sliced meat is a nice presentation.

It should work, but it’s a bit of a production for optimal results. Kenji’s method is carving off the breasts, skinning them, baking the skin separately in the oven, and then having the leg quarters in a separate bath at a different temperature, and browning them in a pan to finish. So, a lot of steps, but also pretty foolproof.

So it’s more like a meat sauna as opposed to a meat hot tub. No plastic is nice, but I’m assuming you miss out on the reserved juices?

I figure you can collect them in a roasting pan.

i considered it, but made duck confir instead.

i did make kenji’s deconstructed turkey with sv breasts and thighs in different years. it’s fine, but it produces too much breasts leftovers, not enough skin/dark meat.

“Air Sous Vide” is a big promise, maintaining precise wet bulb temperatures is difficult and I wonder how precise even a $500 countertop oven can do it. Would be an interesting experiment to see what the temperature deviation is when you set the oven to 125F.

Rational is a commercial oven brand that pulls off this technique very accurately, but their ovens start at $10k.

The idea of precision steam control in a kitchen tool was first pioneered by KFC as a means to keep their chicken crispy. They needed a way to fry off hundreds of pounds of chicken each morning and keep it in a warm, crispy state all day for fast service - enter the CVap. Now you see these ovens used not only for places like KFC, but also BBQ restaurants that want to hold their brisket, shoulder, ribs, etc. at “just out of the smoker doneness” for hours at a time.

I am doing the roast turkey Serious Eats method on my pizza stone. Oven set at 525 gets the actual temp to about 465 lmao. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

2 Likes

3 Likes

Final product was out of this world tasty.

9 Likes

Looks excellent. What’s the sauce?

Just red wine / cognac / shallot / chicken stock / butter reduced down. Turned out really well!

2 Likes

Sometimes the classics are classics because they’re classics. It’s actually pretty hard to beat a traditional pan sauce.

Nice. Did your butter separate on you, though? Or maybe it’s just the picture that makes it look separated instead of more creamy.

Yup it did. I was passed the point of caring though. I took it off the heat and then whisked the butter in. Not sure if I should have left it on while whisking?

1 Like

Dang bro you got wookied.

3 Likes

That’s weird. Separating is almost always due to heat too high.

1 Like

Pan may have been too hot then. I finished the steak in the 500 degree oven with the Brussels before making the sauce. Good to know that’s the reason.

2 Likes