Cooking Good Food - Ramens of the day

OG Iron Chef is the only Iron Chef as far as I’m concerned. Couldn’t bring myself watch Iron Chef America. It’s just not the same without the Chairman and dubbed Hattori.

2 Likes

You have a trove of squid ink without squid? How did this happen? And then, time for ink in the pasta instead of the sauce, and the aforementioned ice cream.

IMG_0665

IMG_0666

I separated the meat from the ink and added the squid bits later because grinding up the squid pieces in my mortar and pestle sounded gross af. Look, this wasn’t even my idea but I can’t back down from a pesto challenge.

2 Likes

Wookie, is there any reason to not do a stock in a pressure cooker? Is there a downside?

Well, my pressure cooker is an instant pot, so one of the main downsides is that I can make a much bigger batch in a big dumb pot. And, since it doesn’t have much evaporation, if I start with too much water, it’ll come out too watery, while on the stove I can just let it go a little longer. But, a pressure cooker can save a bunch of time.

That’s the only downside I was thinking of, was the size of my instant pot.

Our boy Kenji did a comparison:

Chen Kenichi GOAT

3 Likes

Thoughts on this?

It’s a hell of a tool and I’m sure many here would enjoy messing around with it, but I don’t think it’s solving many problems for the average consumer.

Are people really that upset with their oven roasted chicken?

I’ve been asking to get talked out of it for awhile and somehow haven’t bought it yet. My oven is in a rental so I can’t just replace it and the thermometer is inaccurate and it’s basically just a very cheap & shitty electric stove/oven. The better temp control and sous vide options are what intrigue me. Steam and convection are bonuses. I mentioned my Anova having issues with the housing hitting the propeller also so that would replace that because it doesn’t have much use left.

I love this little oven … I need to replace my gas oven soon and have been thinking about how to slowly take the entire house electric. I love cooking on gas the same as many, but also think electric is the future on that … it’s also just me, for the most part; I’m rarely cooking for a crowd … so I wonder if an oven like this could work. Probably a better oven than I could buy larger…

Anyway, tldr oven looks awesome

3 Likes

This is my thinking. It also replaces four devices I have and take up room, my air fryer, proofer, toaster oven and sous vide.

1 Like

how does the sv function work? you put a water bath inside, there’s just no recirculator?

Nope. It cooks with 100% humidify so you sous vide just be cooking it outside a bag at low temp.

I have a dumb question that I should know the answer to but don’t want to ruin dinner tomorrow.

I’m dry brining a couple filets in the fridge overnight. Do I salt them again prior to cooking tomorrow or was the brine salt enough?

The water is irrelevant in sous vide. All that matters is you can keep the food at a consistent low temp right?

Speaking of sous vide. Has anyone considered sous viding a Thanksgiving turkey. If so, why? If not, why not?

I think if you did it, you might have to break the bird down and cook the white and dark meat in separate baths.

2 Likes

Kanji has this oven. He has an opening video on YouTube.

1 Like