Cooking Good Food - Ramens of the day

It goes back far more than that. I’d guess less than 5% of what any country is known for is actually indigenous.

2 Likes

Of course, I just grabbed a couple of ubiquitous examples.

I think it’s pretty reasonable to have a bias against a corporate product but not against an ingredient or a dish.

1 Like

I don’t like that Hong Kong is appropriating Viking culture by using Spam.

1 Like

Yeah that’s a good point. And honestly I am fine with people liking or avoiding foods for basically any reason. But I would look at Spam in East Asian cooking and think “well at least something good came out of a bad thing” rather than thinking of it as a kind of poisonous fruit of a poisonous tree.

that’s not even close to what i’m saying. potatoes and tomatoes are great produces. Spam and cream of mushroom soup are mass produce crap

1 Like

Gotcha. Valid point.

My only real objection to Spam is the price. I’m fine with heavily processed, super-salty roadkill in general and will happily eat store brand corned beef hash or those alarmingly inexpensive frozen breakfast sausages. But Spam is like $5 a pound. I can get an actual ham steak for around the same cost. I can get an entire ham for half that. If you’re going to sell me transmogrified hoofs and mystery bits it needs to be dirt cheap.

3 Likes

Very true. Spam’s value prop is on large part that it is shelf stable.

I have never tasted spam in my life. Maybe I need to.

If you hate processed food its a no-go. If you really want to try it i wouldn’t recommend cutting off a hunk and eating it. A slice seared in a pan and served on toasted bread with Sriracha mayo is the kind of preparation that really maximizes results.

I can get a 12-ounce can for somewhere between $2.50 and $3.

1 Like

I had left over spam from trying to make spam musubi once. I cubed it up, threw it into fried rice with whatever veggies were lying around. Turned out pretty good. I’ve done that a few times now, haven’t bothered making the musubi again.

#teamSpam

I’m with you brother.

1 Like

I enjoyed reading these words.

1 Like

Not as much as I enjoy eating the foodish animal byproducts. Mmmmmmmm.

Best way I’ve had spam is poolside with a spam roll. Quick seared wrapped with rice and seaweed with a glaze. Delicous.

1 Like

Yeah… but without the grease all you can taste is the hog anus.

1 Like

The best meat is mechanically separated meat.