Cooking Good Food - Ramens of the day

I believe Wookie is talking about the other white meat, so you’re all good.

1 Like

Is he propositioning me?

1 Like

Uncured bacon exists.

If you’re talking about the stuff that says no nitrites/nitrates added then that bacon is still cured. They just use celery powder instead of your standard pink curing salt. It’s just a marketing trick.

Feel like we’ve talked about this before itt, I guess uncured bacon could also not be smoked but you are still eating cured meat.

2 Likes

I forgot to make mayo before making it so used Dijon and homemade vinaigrette I had made for salad this week. Going to eat several more this week. My first time trying to grow brussel sprouts and they are starting to come in also.

I’m reading Julia Child’s biography and man she was so hyped about making mayo. Whole passages on her experimenting to get just the right consistency. I can’t get into it at all, really don’t think I’ve ever once gotten excited about mayo.

So I tried making a pesto baked eggplant thing. It was kinda basic but I liked it.
IMG_0358

4 Likes

I never use it all when I buy it so use the Serious Eats recipe. I have had issues getting it to come together unless the egg is room temperature (I think that’s the issue) so I skipped it last night.

Two-Minute Mayonnaise Recipe

This shit though, I used to eat all the time with ham sandwiches haha.

If you can find this stuff there is no need for every making mayo at home. This is the world’s best mayo.

I’m a Hellmann’s guy, but if this Kewpie is really better, maybe I’ll give it a shot. Apparently, I can just order it on Amazon.

It’s an extra savory version of mayo. It has some mustard powder and MSG added and it’s just a lot more flavorful.

Well, that sounds like it can’t possibly be bad. I just ordered some now.

Enjoy your new and improved life. There’s no going back now.

Saw some unexpected beef ribs at Costco for just $3.99/lb. Never seen Costco sell just the ribs before. Guess we’re having beef ribs.

6 Likes

BTW, don’t tell my girls I called them beef ribs here. They are DINOSAUR BONES.

7 Likes

I’m not sure that would help at Chez Melkerson. My kids love dinosaurs. They’re never eating them.

Do they like dinosaurs that eat other dinosaurs?

T-Rex is their least favorite for this reason. But they don’t want to commit the same heinous crime as the awful T-Rex.

2 Likes

lol i’m literally eating bamba now as i was reading this. good job on loving your children more than the rest of UP

2 Likes

Had about a dozen BLTs the last week. Went to a concert and stayed with friends and they made BLTs for lunch one day and BLTs with eggs for breakfast another lmao.

4 Likes

Kenji Lopez-Alt was on this episode of Sean Carroll’s Mindscape podcast last year. Mostly interesting in a worlds collide kind of way.