Cooking Good Food - Ramens of the day

These are going to be the finishing touch on a mushroom truffle risotto tonight. I’ll let you all know if it was worth it.

6 Likes

Sorry that someone has poison ivy in the fatboy household. No amount of truffling will cure it imo.

Went camping last weekend and the mosquitos were relentless.

I did read though that rubbing fresh truffles on mosquito bites will ease the itching, but that may have just been propaganda from BigTruffle.

2 Likes

Don’t maple shame. It’s a personal health decision.

1 Like

Maple running off your pancakes/french toast into your ham/bacon and eggs is goat.

calamine

works as well for ivy as pox

1 Like
2 Likes

Kale from photo in gardening thread turned into Olive Garden style super unhealthy zuppa toscana.

3 Likes

It can’t be unhealthy if it has kale.

Well, tides were bad for digging clams so I bought some crab and did crab cakes with a garlic aioli:

And… the risotta sat about 10 minutes too long while we were chatting, but it was still delicious and the fresh truffles made it even better:

Think I’ll do this again but with winter truffles. The summer truffles are good but mild in flavor.

I have a little truffle left so I’m going to do a pasta alla spoletina this afternoon for lunch.

ETA: In case anybody is interested, here’s the place I ordered the truffles: https://shop.urbani.com/

8 Likes

So, while I hate to burst the immaculate reputation as a from-scratch-only bro I’ve built up ITT, but it’s never been true, even if I do think there are a lot of examples where it’s worth it. I did some Korean BBQ tonight with galbi I bought pre-packaged and marinated from Costco a little while back for $8/lb. Bought a couple packs, threw them in the freezer, forgot about them for a while, and pulled them out when we were feeling like Korean BBQ. Tasted great, to the point I’m not sure I’d be able to discern my from-scratch version. We served them with butter lettuce for wrapping, short grain rice, and store-bought ssamjang from H-mart (which is unfortunately a fair bit spicier than the ssamjang we made following the recipe on SE, so my wife and kids wouldn’t eat it). So, maybe make your own ssamjang if you want more moderate heat, but if you like Korean BBQ and see the pre-packed galbi at Costco, pick up a pack or two (they seem to come in and out of availability for me). Easy and good.

1 Like

So i had a discussion about why Bamba isn’t a thing yet in the US. My working thesis is that it’s impossible to eat and not like it.

So as an experiment, can people who shop at Trader Joe pick a bag and try it? It’s a buck. I dunno if its availabe in different grocery chains

Now this is more my speed.

How did you cook it? Grill?

One thing that deters me from that it that it makes such a mess and I hate cleaning the grill. Any tips on that?

I think a decent portion of it has to do with the word on that package right after Bamba: peanut. Peanut allergies are all over the damn place (even if they might not be as bad if more people ate Bamba), but it’s seriously taboo to take peanut products into any setting with children.

Yeah, just over charcoal on the Weber kettle. Gas would be fine, too. Broiled on a wire rack in the oven in a pinch.

Clean the grill with fire. Burn+grill brush gits r dun.

Gas or charcoal grill? If it’s gas I turn it to high for 10 or 20 minutes and it all turns to ash.

Well as any israeli would love to tell literally anyone who mentions it - peanut allergies are extremely rare in Israel because of bamba consumption from infancy

I just told my wife to grab me a bag when she goes to TJ’s tomorrow. Will report back.

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve got gas, and I do that, but there is always a bit of residue left.

Also some times the marinade drips through the grill on to those little ceramic grill tiles underneath. I guess I don’t really have to clean those, but it just irks me.

I am totally on board with this theory (I fed my kids peanut products early and often), but by the time we’d consider bringing snacks to share in some sort of setting, there’s usually a moratorium due to some kid with a deathly peanut allergy. And, like the gluten free crowd, people are often unable to distinguish “unhealthy for some” from “unhealthy for all.”