Cooking Good Food - Ramens of the day

yuck. I grew up with sauerkraut, pickled herring, liver and onions, and they are all gross af. Imo.

I like coleslaw and other cabbage foods.

Have you tried it? It doesn’t taste anything like those things you mentioned. I hate all those too and love kimchi. Especially when somebody has a heavier hand than normal on the ginger.

1 Like

Kimchi is much more sweet, savory and spicy than sauerkraut. My grandma, and now my folks, made sauerkraut with just cabbage and salt and time. Kimchi has Korean chili powder, sugar, salted shrimp, ginger, and other aromatics perhaps too. It’s pretty distinct. There are also versions based on e.g. daikon that are pretty great, too, if you just want to skip the napa cabbage version.

2 Likes

I like sauerkraut and can’t stand mayo-based coleslaw. also like liver and onions.

1 Like

OK Boomer

2 Likes

Yeah this.

Comparing kimchi and sauerkraut is like comparing an Aston Martin with an entry level Chevy. Yes, they’re both cars, but that is where the similarity ends.

Yeah but spicy. It’s very good!

I actually had some semi-authentic sauerkraut the other day, very intense flavor, way different experience from the usual Americanized versions I’ve had.

1 Like

No restaurants near here are open and I am sick of pizza and don’t want to cook so walking to nearest Taco Bell with my dog. Paging @tabbaker

2 Likes

I was kidding btw.

I enjoyed the loaded taco fries

1 Like

Last time I did this while in Denver, I ordered $50 worth of Pizza Hut and ate it all. Next night all the pizza places were closed so ate $30 worth of Kit Kats and Pizza Rolls from the hotel lobby.

3 Likes

It was the best of bachelor eating. It was the worst of bachelor eating.

2 Likes

This the serious eats recipe for buldak?

Worst of. I got a reservation at a spot that looked close to the art district but it was in the middle of an industrial park. While it was close to that area it was a $15-20 Uber ride at least everywhere I went. Ended up spending like 6-8x what my gas cost would have been but flying was fast.

If I had been close to the art district and shit I could have eaten later and walked to my hotel. The Red Rocks shows were still epic and everything but I was cut off from everything walking wise.

was at the radisson here:

Yep, and the spicy cucumber salad is theirs, too.

The Red Rocks shuttle after the show that brought us to Denver left us at a closed bar/restaurant (thirsty lion) at like 1130 lol.

there a couple of versions of sauerkraut too. the common one is much more lacto and mushy, but my parents made a super crunchy one that also had some carrot for color. i have memories of going to grandma’s house for a big family cabbage chopping party.

We did the same only horseradish. You couldn’t walk within 5 feet of any door without eye pain.