Cooking Good Food - Ramens of the day

I’d agree with “unnecessary”.

However, I think a good sauce adds more than it detracts.

Also, most sauces are not good.

To be honest i cant imagine any sauce improving an aged ribeye or even ny strip for me. But i don’t like rich sauces in general.
It can probably work well for Filet Mignon but I can’t remember the last time I had one.

Chimichurri on a flat steak is great.

1 Like

Horseradish is decent.

Aren’t all sauces “unnecessary?”

Try eating sauceless pasta.

1 Like

The number one thing people can do to up their food is add sauces. They are critical to good food. That’s why you can’t find anything fine dining without a sauce.

Ketchup is a sauce! :grin:

1 Like

And ketchup is actually good too. Like fine don’t put it on steak I can see that argument. But generally ketchup is an outstanding combination of sweet and tangy/acidic. Its almost like its so good, and therefore so broadly appealing, that people object to it simply because it is so ubiquitous.

3 Likes

just oil or a bit of melted butter and cheese probably don’t qualify as a full on sauce, but it makes pasta edible.

I consider that a sauce.

Oh boy an argument about what X really means! How much money does a sauce need to make before its considered a “rich” sauce? THATS NOT EVEN THAT RICH FOR MANHATTAN HERP DERP.

1 Like

A sauce is basically a liquid added to a dish to add flavor and moistness. Melted butter is a liquid that adds flavor and moistness. From a basic “food as fuel” level, adding such things are not necessary to getting your needed caloric intake.

i mean, undergrads and grad students are eating pasta and palm oil for under a dollar a day, but here we are talking about their SAUCES!!!

jk. not meant to be an argument, it’s just funny to me how this conversation spins both ways.

speaking of necessary intake, a bio researcher once told me it’s possible for lab rats to stay somewhat healthy while consuming some small amounts of protein and fat, but not generally possible to have a carb only diet for extended periods. like something about fat helping to fight infections etc. /shrug

One of the biggest improvements I have made to my cooking game is making sauces.

2 Likes

Wikipedia is even broader than that:

In cooking, a sauce is a liquid, cream, or semi-solid food, served on or used in preparing other foods

Aglio e olio is pretty darn close to just olive oil and pasta.

2 Likes

I did not mean unnecessary in the very literal way it’s been referred to here twice. I deeply apologize for the discomfort you must have endured.

1 Like

Thats garlic sauce baby.

Without fats our nerves eventually become demyelinated.

1 Like