Cooking Good Food - Ramens of the day

https://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-crispy-roasted-chickpeas-in-the-oven-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-219753

1 Like

Love these - cayenne pepper is my preferred spice. Rather than just pat dry though I leave mine to dry overnight.

s’more shot from recent camping

7 Likes

A real fire in a fire pit? I haven’t seen one of those in a month.

1 Like

burn bans are coming. :angry: i think that campground was allowing it because it’s not run by the forrest service, not the state.

If you like Indian, Kenji’s recipe for chana masala is good.

I think Creole red beans are peak legume. I make huge batches a couple times a year because it takes most of the day to do but freezes very well.

2 Likes

A classic recipe from Reddit:

Serve over rice.

1 Like

Here’s for red lentils:
Sautee some shallots in olive oil. When they’re sweet add salt, thyme, and a good glug of white wine and cook for a minute or two.
Add the lentils (rinse first), add some spaghetti broken into quarters, some stock, mild greens (like chard or beet or turnip greens), simmer for like 20 minutes. Serve with grated hard cheese like pecorino and balsamic vinegar.

Thanks to all for the suggestions! I purchased every variety of dried bean I could find. I’ll keep you all updated on my basic bean bake\boil beatification blog.

for all your bean pantry needs. solid recipes too.

Insta pot is the goat for cooking dried beans IMO. Will gladly share some YouTube recipes I use if anyone is interested.

1 Like

Pesto summer continues with creamy roasted red pepper pesto:

IMG_0348
IMG_0350

5 Likes

https://thewanderlustkitchen.com/wp-json/mv-create/v1/creations/354/print

Lots of variations you can try by just searching around a bit.

1 Like

fwiw, the sprokful pasta arrived, and i had it twice now. it’s … okay. i’ll have to have it with a more saucy sauce next. it didn’t really taste any different. it’s longer to cook, so it’s a thicker pasta, but other than the hype the podcast generated i wouldn’t call it special yet, although i’ll have to check if this ruined penne for me or anything.

would get fresh pasta over new shape approximately ten times out of ten.

+1

We have fuckton of Rancho Gordo beans in our pantry.

1 Like

Transitioning to vegetarian. Last straw was seeing a chick in front of a house waiting for death and seeing a metal webbing above the door.

Any suggestions for someone on the thriftiest budget you could imagine?

1 Like

I’m not a vegetarian but we have cut way back on meat.

This is one of my go to vegetarian meals that is cheap and easy to make (if you have a pressure cooker) and if you like lentils.

1 Like

When I was a vegetarian and broke in my early 20s, it was pasta and sauces, meatless pizzas, ramen and salads. Not the healthiest imo. There are many more options though if you spend a little money and time making things. Beans make a lot of dishes and are cheap as hell especially if you buy them dry.

1 Like

I’m actually trying to make tofu bahn mi tomorrow and grocery store didn’t have daikon radishes. If i can’t find any are red radishes a decent substitute? I have a full row of them growing in my garden atm.

Enchiladas (made with arrowroot tortillas) are gonna get a lot of playing time.

Just need to find a good substitute for bacon/sausage in my various hash recipes and I can hit the ground running.

1 Like