Cooking Good Food - Ramens of the day

In other news, getting ready for tomorrow:

6 Likes

Looking back at the list I posted, there are much better places than that list previous years of their top 10.

Dry brine with a mojito on the side?

1 Like

Inspired by this thread, I tried green onion pesto with sesame seeds and a bit of lemon. A bit sharp, I might cut it with parsley or something next time, not bad for an experiment, though.

7 Likes

All hail King of the Pesto!

3 Likes

We got garlic scapes in out box last week, it makes amazing pesto.

CW: Immodest staek alert:

6 Likes

This has been this episode of cooking some motherfucking good food.

10 Likes

Real life Guga.

props to the steak game, and i’m gonna let you finish, but your grilling corn/veggies game needs to improve the char.

2 Likes

Yesterdays 4th spread got me thinking about hot dogs. What are the best hot dogs that are semi-widely available? I always go with Nathan’s bun length as it makes me feel like a hot dog eating champ when I can eat 6 of those skinny MFers. But is there a better widely available hot dog? I would put it above Hebrew National and all the mega corporate hot dogs but it got me thinking if there are better out there.

I realize this is the cooking GOOD food thread but no idea where to put this question haha.

I buy what’s on sale and cover it with condiments.

I was at the grocery today, got some Johnsonville brats (I prefer brats to hot dogs) on sale for $2.77/pack with $0.50 hot dog buns and covered them with store-bought relish and homemade pickled onions.

I just ate two, might make it four.

I buy Nathan’s or sometimes others that are all beef. I buy them once every 2 years or so for chili or chicago dogs.

1 Like

They go with Hebrew National

1 Like

Ya Johnsonville Brats (the raw ones) are always can’t miss no matter what variety you get.

I rarely eat hot dogs myself, but when I eat a bunch I do wonder about the different brands. Can someone explain the .99 hot dog packs to me? Are those just literal horse hoofs and pig bones mixed with the slop off the killing room floor or a) how do they make money selling them that cheap and b) (bougie eater alert) who in the world is trying to save a buck or two on trash hot dog meats? I guess if you are feeding them to children or something. I haven’t had any since college probably and I remember them being god awful.

Pretty obsessed with green chiles. This is when I bought an entire box of roasted hatch chiles 7 years ago. Dicing them all by hand to freeze for later was a chore. Pork Chile verde was elite though.

6 Likes

Most local butchers will make and sell their own hotdogs (and other sausages) as a way of utilizing trim and oxidized meats from their retail cases.

I’d recommend trying your local spot for any tube steak needs. They’re probably going to sell them for around $10/lb. if they use lamb casing, they’ll be approx. 4oz each, if they use hot casing then they be around 6oz.

It’s a premium, of course, but you’ll be supporting a local shop and probably a local farm cooperative, as well as consuming vastly superior product.

5 Likes

5 Likes

in the spirit of switching to more sustainable beef, i started buying Teton brand grass-fed sausages. not bad at all.

1 Like