Cooking Good Food - Ramens of the day

Looks pretty great. Well set up for a pan sauce as well.

Do this group have any ideas about using up a massive amount of green onions? Check out this beast I got in my farmers box this week

I like them for stir fry, where you slice up and cook the white parts while cutting up the green parts to sprinkle raw onto the finished dish

2 Likes

How about a condiment like agro dolce or kimchi?

1 Like

Another idea - Ginger Scallion Oil

2 Likes

Normally I just use what I need to use in whatever recipe requires it and then just toss the rest into a salad.

Seems like just about every Asian dish I make regardless of nationality uses green onions, as a garnish if nothing else. Stir fries, as above. Soups: pho, ramen of all styles, sukiyaki, hot pot, Taiwanese beef noodle soup, and more. Sushi, and adjacent thinks like chirashi. They’re often in dumpling fillings, but I wouldn’t hold it against you to not want to put in that kind of work. I made this but haven’t gotten around to posting it yet:

1 Like

Sour Cream and Onion Biscuits Recipe | Bon Appétit

2 Likes

Good idea, add a little variety to breakfast. I used to find breakfast boring and then I started doing stuff like eating arepas.

1 Like

Green onion pesto.

2 Likes

I use cast iron 95% of the time because I have been lazy af. I’ve been reverse searing in the oven and then to iron skillet mostly the last several months. I’ve only used my sous vide lately for decarbing herb rofl. I still think the charcoal sear adds flavor that is awesome though.

Any green chili fanatics that eat it the whole time in CO? I’m as excited about that as Red Rocks.

2 Likes

Tell me more about this green chili fanaticism in CO. I’ll be at Red Rocks in August.

I went to a Yonder Mountain NYE run in Boulder one year and every single meal I had other than one pizza included green chili

1 Like

I love green chile. Had no idea it was a Colorado thing.

2 Likes

I associate it more with New Mexico, but its that whole region.

1 Like

Yeah the hatch chilis come from New Mexico but the popularity spread up there.

1 Like

In my brief time in New Mexico, I quickly settled on “Christmas” being the optimal sauce order for a burrito: both red and green chili sauces, because choosing just one is for chumps.

3 Likes

Here’s my breakfast 5 years ago yesterday at the OG Pancake House in Denver.

It tasted way better than my hungover picture taking. Man, I suck at taking photos. For real.

1 Like

Anyway, guess I’ll post the results from this:

Served in some absolutely mammoth steamed buns that MrsWookie happened to come home with instead of the much smaller usual size. Still worked though. Side is this:

Because MrsWookie randomly came home with a bag of Brussels sprouts on that same trip, and we also happened to have a bit of kimchi that needed to be used up.

For the buns, I mixed the hoisin sauce with some mayo and spread it on both sides. Do that if you do this. It was delicious. I also substituted Kenji’s quick pickles from his pork belly bun recipe. Do that too. They’re awesome. I forgot the mint on my first iteration, though. Don’t do that. The mint really helps the dish, as good as it is even without the mint. The tea in the brining recipe is pretty obscure. Our local Asian grocery store didn’t have it, but we got it from Bezos. Unexpectedly smoky for a tea. I don’t know of anything that would really substitute.

The sprouts were good, but I think compared to a more minimalist preparation where you just roast in salt and oil and finish with pepper and maybe a light drizzle of balsamic glaze, there was too much liquid, so they were a bit soggy instead of crispy. Flavorful, but I think the crispiness of the sprouts really helps them taste good.

4 Likes