Cooking Good Food - Ramens of the day

Sounds similar to Persian chicken kabob.

1 Like

@Trolly recommended pesto, and I’ll +1 that, and suggest adding chimichurri to the mix. It is great on everything, and upgrades every type of sandwich when used as a spread. It’s relatively easy to make at home as well.

An easy meatless go to in the summer time is Faux Chicken salad:

1. Rough mash a can of garbonzo beans along with an avocado or two in a bowl
  2. Add diced red onion, and another crunchy veggie or two for texture (bell pepper, celery, jicama, etc)
  3. Mix in lemon/lime juice, and add spices and/or cilantro
  4. Eat on bread or crackers with tomato and/or cucumber slices, or lettuce wrap it with hot sauce if you wanna go low carb.
1 Like

How about doing a som tum project? I’m sure that perfecting the recipe is super challenging but the best som tum I had were amazing.

1 Like

Dude the best thing I ever ate (or one of them at least) was fresh som tum on the beach in Thailand. Been chasing that dragon ever since and have occasionally had good versions but none have really come close to that first one. That said I doubt I’ll be able to find the proper ingredients here.

I don’t know where ‘here’ is, but I’m sure a big city like Phoenix have some asian markets.

Having Asian markets =/= fresh ingredients to make proper som tum.

The main fresh ingredient is papaya. The ingredients that might be harder to find are like dried shrimps and tamarind and stuff like that are not exactly fresh.

1 Like

I tend to avoid yogurt marinades because they tend to stick to the grill, but I think I’ll try this one.

1 Like

is that a british spelling? didn’t know it’s a thing.

Someone should check the rapid decline in yog(h)urt mentions in books in the 21 centaury. we’re losing the youth.

1 Like

I found this very informative.

3 Likes

That Bezos guy is alright in my book

1 Like

Last nights dinner. I had never cooked them in a forno and was super scared (given their price!) but they turned out awesome.

16 Likes

Wow. Say more!

Is that your oven?
How long did it take to preheat?
Did you cook anything else in there?
Cooked directly on the sheet tray?

1 Like

It’s my cousins. A custom built forno. Take about an hour to get to 1100 degrees. We cooked chicken wings, jalapeño poppers, Brie, and potatoes in it yesterday. It’s fun to cook with but burns the crap out of your arms. Lol.

We left them on the tray to cook whole times. Worked well.

3 Likes

There’s no denying the panache of cooking oversized steaks this way, but how were the interiors? With such thick steaks, I’d be worried about overcooking the edges before the centers get to be edible.

I had same concern. I should have grabbed a photo but was a bit tipsy by then.

I’d say they ended up between medium rare and medium. Pretty consistent cook actually. I rotated them a bunch and kept moving them from the hot to cool end.

It sort of worked out like a roast where people who liked closer to the medium rare side could have it and those who wanted closer to the medium side could have that.

I might sous vide next time.

Yeah, I’d be tempted to sous vide at 100-115 F for an hour or so

1 Like

The other thing I did I have them sit on the counter for about and hour and a half so interior was right up to room temp.

More pictures of your big meat please @clovis8 .

2 Likes