Cooking Good Food - Ramens of the day

No grill?

I have on several occasions plugged my Instant Pot in outside so as to avoid heating up the house on a hot day. Works pretty well if you still want a hot meal.

Not mentioned yet is a faux-bacon BLT

I have a grill as well

I didn’t check the soup link but I’m sure it has Aja Blanco. If you like the taste of almonds that’s a great cold soup. Never made it because I eat things more than make things.

Also Skordalia, while I’m on cold almond dishes binge (one again, never made this recipe so just a conceptual recommendation)

Not going to lie, I will eat most things but ‘cold soup’ has little to no appeal to me. Maybe I just need to try the right one.

Maybe a nice quinoa tabbouleh with chickpeas and diced peppers and tomatoes?

2 Likes

Oops, read the “good call” as a response to Gazpacho.

Gazpacho might be an exception, I had it a while back and it was pretty good.

Well that’s like the most common cold soup so I think it’s possible that you should consider your stance.

1 Like

You could do a Persian Shirazi salad. That’s always a nice dish:

I’d throw some feta in there too, but that’s just my preference.

2 Likes

If you do make that salad, never name it. Wars have started over it.

A salad I love that can stand up as a light meal:

• Baby spinach
  • Red onion (sliced very thin)
  • Cherry tomatoes
  • Feta
  • Dried cranberries
  • Candied pecans (crushed)
  • Balsamic vinaigrette (I make a homemade one with fig balsamic vinegar that works perfect with this)
3 Likes

Go on?

The exact, or very similar versions of this salad are also called “Arabic Salad” or “Israeli Salad”. You can imagine the disputes from here.

1 Like

A similar salad in this part of the world (ubiquitous in Czech restaurants), and apparently also controversial in origin (though no wars that I know of), is this one, which in Czech is called Šopský salát:

Good standby salad in hot weather.

1 Like

I do not have photos of it but I have a pretty easy recipe for those who would like to try it. I am a vegetarian and therefore this is vegetarian but I am sure the vegetable broth could be easily substituted for beef broth.

I had a restaurant that I went to that had the best French Onion Soup. Years ago, I asked the waitress if it was vegetarian and she had said yes and I believed her. I found out that was a lie. So I went to make my own and it is pretty good.

Slow Cooker Vegetarian French Onion Soup

• 4 yellow onions
  • 2 red onions
  • 2 tbsp of corn starch
  • 2 tbsp of soy sauce
  • 3 tbsp of balsamic vinegar
  • garlic (I like a lot)
  • half a stick of butter
  • 4 tbsp of olive oil
  • approx. 6 cups of vegetable broth
  • half a cup of sherry, or dry white wine
  • thyme
  • rosemary
  • 1 bay leaf
  • salt
  • pep
  • 1 cup of water
  1. Melt the butter and put in olive oil. Once the butter is melted, put in the onions. I put in on high heat. The onions will appear translucent in about 20 min. Stir around and put in the salt. I put about a small handful of salt in but it really depends on what you want. At this stage, I also put in the garlic. I used a fair amount and it really depends on what someone wants. Let that be on high for 20 more min.

2. When the onions have reduced in size and seem quite brown I reduced it to low heat. After maybe 5 minutes, I put in the white wine. Let that stew for another 10 or so min. In the end, I put in the balsamic vinegar, mixed, and let that stew for a minute or so.

3. Once the onions are nice and glazed, I put them in the slow cooker. Add the rest of the ingredients. With the corn starch, I mixed it in with the cup of water before pouring it in.

4. Set slow cooker on high and cook for 4-5 hours.

Super yummy and easy. Just takes a while.

3 Likes

For something yummy and simple, I recommend roasted veggie salad.

Just get some veggies (I like zucchini cut long style, red bell pepper, eggplant, asparagus) season how you like and roast, get some arugula and spinach, cut some cherry tomatoes, and do a balsamic vinaigrette. If you want cheese, I’d recommend a mild one like buffalo mozzarella or burrata.

2 Likes

I like melon soup but it’s really just a melon smoothie with a dollop of creme fraiche.

Pesto.

1 Like

That looks delish - what’s the seasoning on the chicken, and what are the sauces?

Thanks. might give this a shot in the next few weeks.

2 Likes