Cooking Good Food - Ramens of the day

I didnt take one but yelp offered this. I forgot about the 4 broccoli pieces on the corners. That was an extra touch too

With that pic and description, it seems the restaurant is trying to run some sort of elite troll.

Did the dish have a name?

Last week at my farmers market I got some line caught Alaskan Lingcod flash frozen and supposedly caught only a few days earlier. Had never had it before, but it was stellar. And the defrosted fish was fresher than anything I can get at the grocery stores around here.

I did a very simple prep. Took a large carrot and sliced it into 1/4" thick coins, sprayed a piece of foil with non-stick spray, and laid out the pieces of carrot. Laid the fish on top of the carrot pieces and rubbed it with a combo of paprika, pepper, cayenne pepper, sumac, and Aleppo pepper flakes. Laid slices of lemon and onion on the fish, and then topped it off with some halved brussels sprouts. Folded the foil down and on the ends to make a big pouch, and tossed it on the grill for 20 minutes. Delicious.

I got 4 more hunks of the Lingcod this week to try some other things with it. It reminds me of a hybrid between cod and halibut. (Perhaps you folks on the west coast are more familiar with it, but we almost never see it here.)

This is the place that comes to my farmers market. They run their own boat and usually catch haddock, cod, atlantic halibut, and bluefin tuna… All seasonally dependent. So far everything I’ve bought has been great.

1 Like

茄汁焗猪扒意粉 Baked Pork Chop with Tomato Sauce Over Spaghetti

maybe the Cantonese name will be helpful? I’m pretty sure this is an actual dish. The most amazing part was just a bunch of corn kernels for no possible reason.

Not a troll, I guess. I’m still never eating it.

1 Like

I have an employee based in Hong Kong. I’m going to ask her about this.

From what I read after there’s a bunch of HK dishes that uses western ingredients to kinda create their own version of casual food. I guess similar to Philippines dishes.

They have 4 types of proteins (shrimps, pork chop, ny steak and chicken steak) that came in 4 “sauces” (tomato, cream, black pepper and “Portuguese”) and either on rice or spaghetti.

The Shrimp with cream sauce was a pretty popular order, which sounds right up @zikzak’s alley

2 Likes

Paella tonight. I had actually saved and frozen some sofrito from last time, as the Serious Eats recipe has you make about twice as much as you need in the course of the directions. Odd, but with the frozen sofrito, it’s a really fast and easy recipe.

6 Likes

Looks great as always. Even looks like a traditional paella pan.

I have one, but this is an All-Clad skillet.

1 Like

I’m now interested in the thought process that lead you to go with pork chop + tomato out of all the possible combos.

1 Like

I also got other dishes (pork belly on rice, spicy pig ears, salt and pepper tofu).
Cream sauce was a no go. didn’t know what Portuguese sauce is and no one there seemed interested in a conversation. Shrimp felt sketchy and I feel like overcooked steak is worse than overcooked pork chop, so took the plunge on that.

Upon further exam, that looks kinda weird too

I guess Pork chop + Black pepper sauce sounds pretty weird, but I think I’d have gone with that (if I’m going pork). Of course given the weirdness of the dish, the additional weirdness that would have introduced is basically a rounding error.

I only asked my employee about the pork chops over spaghetti or rice with tomato sauce and cheese and she said “Yes, it is very popular in HK lol”.

It actually doesn’t sound that bad to me except for your description of the tomato sauce. Otherwise, it’s basically pork chock parmesan.

Edit: I followed up on if the tomato sauce is usually ketchup heavy and she said, “Yes, I don’t recommend it. Stick with the more Chinese dishes.”

2 Likes

HK and Taiwanese snack foods are a whole world. I grew up on some of the more accessible small plates going to tea shops here in Canada. Someone here (or on 2+2?) mentioned that the translation for tomato sauce is vague and you’re liable to get anything from pasta sauce to straight up ketchup.

I’m convinced it started with young people using American ingredients (or war rations) to be cool while never having eaten the original dish. I’ve had plain buttered noodles with ketchup in a pinch before but have no interest in eating stoner food at a restaurant.

confirming that knockoff spaghetti with knockoff ketchup was dinner sometimes growing up in russia. no cheese obv

Why not just cans of tomatoes? Goolash I grew up on. Elbow noodles, beef, tomatoes. Add as many spices as you can to taste.

1 Like

Is it catsup or ketchup in Russia?

It’s tomato sauce and your mom will swear it’s the same as heinz but it’s secretly meant for shashlik.

And the canned tomatoes in Russia come in jars and they’re pickles. If you want pasta you get ketchup or “stroganoff” or plain noodles sauteed in scrambled eggs.

2 Likes

This reads like English but makes no sense to me. I’ll reread.