Cooking Good Food - Ramens of the day

Never heard of it. They aren’t in grocery stores around here and being in MN i don’t know if the trees would grown well so they probably aren’t at farmers markets. Sound tasty though I will buy a few if I ever see them

We are in week 2 of our kitchen remodel and I’m on the verge of death. Can only eat so many bean burritos from taco casa.

Got a box of 10 vegan prepared meals from Veestro for like $80 shipped with promo code. Had 2 so far and they’re ok. WILL ALL BE WORTH IT WHEN NEW APPLIANCES ARRIVE

1 Like

LOL week 2. Get back to me at month 2.

That’s nothing, bro. We were kitchenless for 3 months. We had ways to cook things (grill, induction hotplate, microwave) but it was a pain. And the worst part was doing the dishes.

Now that we’re out on the other side, I suppose it was worth it, but there were some dark times.

2 Likes

You could temporarily relocate to one of your vacation homes or your parent’s pied a terre. Thats the problem with you millenials, you need to learn to pull yourself up by your bootstraps!

2 Likes

My friends have been remodeling and kitchen less since Sept, idk how they survive. They have a hot plate, microwave and grill but the winter must have been brutal, grilling everday in MN during the winter is not great.

simple solution - don’t peel it.

Figured I’d buy a new knife while I’m numb to spending money on the kitchen remodel. Got this on sale for $99.99. The Shun chef knives just didn’t feel good in my hand. I’m a fan of the Japanese steel with a western handle.

3 Likes

I have a pork shoulder in the smoker right now. I waited too long to shop and couldn’t find a bone in one. The butcher really butchered this thing when they took the bone out. This has been the weirdest pulled pork smoke I’ve ever done.

1 Like

While we’re on the subject of knives, what is the consensus on putting these kinds of knives in the dishwasher. OK or hand wash only?

Knives never go in the dishwasher ever.

2 Likes

Even butter knives?

Anything you want to stay sharp.

1 Like

What is the dishwasher doing to dull them?

Rapid temperature and humidity changes and turbulence causing the edge to smash against stuff. Sharpness on a blade is a matter of microscopic impacts to the edge. At the order of microns.

Absolutely not. I hand wash and dry all (non butter) knives as soon as I cook.

3 Likes

My dishwasher has individual slots for utensils (not the baskets), so I think we can avoid the smashing.

My wife also gives the first reason you gave. I’m lazy AF, so I rarely use our good knives because I don’t want to wash them by hand. Our compromise is that I have a set of cheap ceramic knives that I use for cutting when I don’t need the absolute best knife. I can put those in the dishwasher with impunity. Are the ceramic knives resistant to the temp and humidity changes?

I’d also be interested in how much and how fast a deterioration we’re talking about here. How many washes does it take to notice a difference?

Lemon garlic chicken for tonight.

12 Likes

Yeah these are all over the place and I guess no one eats them; I certainly wasn’t comfortable taking one off a random tree. I think it’s a US thing where people won’t touch their neighbors fruit trees and instead let tons of perfectly fine fruit fall to the floor and rot instead because there is like a 0.001% you get shot grabbing a grapefruit. Next time I’m in the area I’m going to pick a ton of those.

1 Like

Even though i grew up not peeling them (my grandfather had a tree in the yard), most people don’t like the skin.

My brother saidthat there are a lot on his block and that his kid (a toddler) enjoys them. Looking forward to trying them, will attempt skin on since I usually like skins on things.