Cooking Good Food - Ramens of the day

I’d be hard pressed not to add garlic, celery, and some parsley to the braise on top of what’s listed. Also, chicken stock >> beef broth, unless you’ve made your own.

1 Like

Clam strips GOAT.

Belly clams even more GOAT.

Yankee 4 lyfe

1 Like

Why chicken stock over beef?

had to google what clam strips are. never heard of it.

Hey Yuv -

Wanted to give you a shout out. Your posting in here about shakshuka changed my life. I eat it probably 5 days a week for breakfast.

4 Likes

I’ve make shakshuka about once a week, great stuff.

1 Like

True story, made shakshuka at 2 am yesterday only to realize i have no bread so it turned into a pasta in spicy north african tomato sauce with eggs in purgatory.

It’s all about the branding

3 Likes

I’m trying to cut weight so no bread for me. But 2 eggs in shakshuka at about 11am keeps me satiated until dinner.

Beef stock has a fairly low protein content, because there’s a legal minimum, and basically no one exceeds that. There’s not the same thing for chicken stock, and perhaps because of lower costs of materials, companies also make higher protein chicken stocks, up to and maybe north of 10 g/serving, like 10x that of beef. The protein is not only delicious in and of itself, it also helps emulsify fats and make rich sauces or stew bases. When stewing beef in the stock, using a high protein chicken stock will tend to taste beefier (you’ll get plenty of beef flavor from the beef you’re stewing) and richer than using a lower protein beef broth. So, when buying stocks, sort by protein for the most part (and low salt). And if you’re making stocks, you can get by pretty well only making chicken stocks and using them for everything except fish stocks.

6 Likes

Thanks! I never knew that.

I have never heard that before but just by unscientific observation we switched to exclusively using chicken stocks for stews and braises.

Weekly staple around this household. Can’t get enough of how easy and good it is. Added some pickled onion bulbs and pickled rhubarb I had in the fridge.

2 Likes

Tired out this recipe and I highly recommend. Very tasty!

2 Likes

I detest cornbread with corn kernels like that. It seems like the worst of both worlds to me, fresh corn is great and cornmeal is great is cornbread or polenta.

1 Like

This and liking buffets in the same day! Im concerned. :grin:

2 Likes

Saw Guy Fieri was trending and was thinking there was maybe another review of one of his restaurants but it turns out he’s getting paiddd

https://twitter.com/glenny_balls/status/1397208283673501703?s=21

Good for him.

1 Like

A bit behind on posting some food.

Farmers’ market opened up this spring! Not nearly as many peddlers of fruits and vegetables as I might have hoped, but I’m also spoiled by California. Unexpectedly, a ton of meat vendors. Lots of sausage, a very expensive wagyu meat stand, some pricey fish, and a totally reasonably priced stand hocking lamb. Got some beautiful lamb loin chops.

Hard to get a decent sear on a t-bone, and it’s hard to get a good sear on fairly thin chops without overcooking them. Inside is much more important than outside, though.

Absolutely wonderful with a port rosemary pan sauce.

Next up, MrsWookie wanted to try this recipe.

So, I used some of the Vaxx Buxx I got from my company on a mortar and pestle.

Subbed bell pepper for the jalapenos out of consideration for my toddlers, and added some sriracha to mine. Couldn’t find fresh holy basil, but unexpectedly found some dried, so we used fresh Thai basil and a teaspoon or so of the dried. Not much to look at, but really, really flavorful. This dish is a good argument for a mortar and pestle, as there was no woodiness or fibrousness in the dish, despite the lemongrass, fresh turmeric, fresh galangal, and other tough ingredients.

9 Likes

I’m not big on the MonsieurWookie french-leaning dishes (just personal taste, i’m sure they are great), but the Asian ones always sound incredible. I need to stop being lazy and find a good asian market and try some of these.

I came across this article. Loquat were one of my favorite fruits growing up. Are Americans really unaware these exists or is this story exaggerating?