Cooking Good Food - Ramens of the day

last tested, pretty low, but that was pre-pandemic when I was lifting regularly. I gotta get back under the bar.

1 Like

there’s no real recipe. i just make popcorn (you can use Alton Brown video i suppose, I just have a pot that i only use for that. I put in a few kernels in oil and add the rest when they pop and then swirl a lot. but also you know it just making popcorn).

take popcorn out, melt butter in pot, add good fish sauce (sometimes tajin if i have). mix. add popcorn. shake. eat.

aka popcorn with fish sauce butter.

2 Likes

We have convergence, folks.

3 Likes

Dungeness crab cake benedict

Not getting my cholesterol re-tested today

10 Likes

Yeah, based on appearance, looks like a reasonably authentic char siu.

that looks incredible

1 Like

Wife is in Florida with her mom for the weekend. Obviously I made steak. I always get a little scared doing a pan sear because I don’t want to set the building alarm off, but I’m happy with the result!

12 Likes

I have been eying this recipe for a while

and I finally made it.

Minced garlic and galangal sauteing in oil, because I dutifully follow every recipe to the letter. LOL NOPE. It’s duck fat.

Even with a pretty good Asian grocery store nearby, they don’t sell whole roast duck. So, I butchered a whole duck, did the breasts you saw earlier, and did the two legs and two wings sous vide confit, with garlic and a dusting of Chinese 5 spice powder for 24 hrs. Chilled, shredded and added to the pot after the eggplant had been going for a bit. The duck gelatin and fat were added in lieu of about half the chicken stock.

Pineapple and tomatoes

Finish with minced Thai basil, cilantro, and mint and serve with rice.

Guys, this might have been the most delicious Thai thing I’ve ever tasted. I realize that duck is a culinary cheat code to delicious, but seriously, it’s amazing, and you should eat more duck.

9 Likes

first time i had the duck curry at Lotus of Siam was life changing.

also save it for the podcast imo

1 Like

I have promised exactly nothing, for the record, and to the extent I might have anything to offer, it’d mostly just be cribbing Serious Eats.

i was joking man. it’s just a compliment.

1 Like

Decided to go the farmers market, buy whatever sounded good, and then come up with dinner. I wanted fish but the halibut was too expensive so I ended up with short ribs. Best general way to prepare them? I also bought a bunch of roasted peppers although I don’t know if they should go together. Plan is to pair them with some spicy greens and veg.

Sear and braise, I believe, is typical with short ribs, to tenderize and develop flavor, Tho UP top chefs can correct me…

1 Like

Yeah, sear and braise for a couple hours if you want to eat them today.

Sous vide then sear if you want to eat them on Tuesday.

eta: not a UP Top Chef™

2 Likes

Your responses will be catalogued but only taking serious suggestions from UP Top Chefs sorry.

@MrWookie

You can use a pressure cooker to cut the cooking time by a significant amount vs stovetop or oven braising.

1 Like

How angry are people going to be if I use this recipe from the Pioneer Woman since I already have all the ingredients for it and I would appreciate the shorter cook time since we have a morning activity tomorrow?

Gonna skip the flour dredge since it seems pointless.

Recipe looks fine, as it’s basically a traditional French braise seeded with pancetta fat. The flour will help thicken the sauce, so I’d consider using it. I wouldn’t add salt right before braising. Salt the meat before searing, and then salt the sauce at the end.

1 Like

It’s more or less standard, as Wookie says.

Brown in fat. (The pancetta is the innovation that I don’t think I’ve seen before.) Add carrots, onions, etc. (I’d be tempted to use parsnips.) Deglaze with alcohol. (Giving the option of white wine is atypical. Port wine is a common choice.) Add broth (and/or other liquids). Season. Braise. (Standard for breaking down tough cuts with a lot of connective tissue.) Sometimes in the oven, sometimes on the stovetop (usually in a dutch oven), or in a pressure cooker.

Once you recognize the pattern, you can overlay the recipe with other patterns of known flavor combinations that work and make it up as you go along. You can adapt it to a spicy combination of flavor if you want.

I’d serve it with some sort of starch that can soak up the braising liquid–mashed potatoes, rice, polenta, pasta–and some sort of vegetables. I’d lean towards sauteed greens, but there’s no single right answer.

1 Like