Cooking Good Food - Ramens of the day

The level of food at your house is insanely elite!

2 Likes

Last night we had our first dinner party for our family that we have not physically touched or been within 6 feet of since February, 2020. I made Persian food - beef/lamb koobideh, chicken kabobs, tahdig, and my wife insisted on having tandoori lamb so I made that too.

I usually make this stuff on my Weber gasser but decided I really wanted to do it more traditional so rigged up my gasser to approximate a persian grill as best I could:

Chicken and Koobideh in process:

Lamb:

Final result - outstanding. I likely will only make Persian food over coals. Might end up buying a legit persian grill soon, too.

Also, a ton of tears when our family came in the house. A good 10 minutes of hugging and crying.

26 Likes

Absolutely incredible!

I’m making Chili Colorado tonight with Guajillo and Mulato peppers. I wasn’t planning on seeding them, but a little worried it might be too spicy for the wife. Opinions?

Nah, he just shows us these rare gems. @MrWookie eats Dominos pizza 5 times a week, it is known.

3 Likes

Heh. I often get Costco pizza for lunch after Saturday groceries, but I haven’t had chain pizza in ages. If not Costco, I try to get it from local places.

This is the real reason some want him removed.

1 Like

I want to slow cook a big ribeye in the oven tonight, but I’d also like to have baked sweet potatoes. If I cook the potatoes first can I just leave them in the oven when I’m ready to do the prime rib at like 225? Should I reduce the normal baking time for the potatoes?

At what temperature do you normally roast your sweet potatoes? Roasting whole sweet potatoes at 225-250 is fine. It’ll take a couple-few hours, but that shouldn’t be much of an issue.

Hmm good question. I normally do regular potatoes at 350 for an hour, and I think I use the same temp for sweet potatoes. But I’ll just go ahead and throw them in the oven now at 250, and put the steak in a little later.

Chile Colorado is the GOAT Mexican dish. Made it for the first time and it turned out really well. I’m going to experiment with different chiles next time to get a deep flavor.

8 Likes

Looks good. How was the spice level?

Almost nonexistent. I deseeded all the peppers. I’ll leave 25% next time. It I was cooking it for me I think I would go 75%.

Steak was great success

By the time I was halfway done eating the steak, I got tired of waiting and took out the potatoes. They were edible but not fully baked. Would nom again.

9 Likes

Making a “bolognese” differently than the last one I posted. That one had you had milk early, this one says to add heavy cream at the end of cooking. The more I think about it the more suspicious I’m becoming of this idea. I’ve got 2-3 hours of simmering left, should I add the cream now or just wait until the end like the recipe says?

I don’t see much advantage to adding the cream early, tbh.

2 Likes

Lactic acid tenderizes meat.

1 Like

So does 2-3hrs of simmering. I’m not sure the extra help is needed there.

I am also not sure it is needed. But there are lots of recipes that involved simmering in dairy, the theory being that it tenderizes the meat. This seems like the kind of thing Kenji would have tested? But I don’t question Italian grandmothers on cooking.

Lactic acid isn’t all that abundant in milk or cream. It’s a byproduct of fermented milk products, so sour cream, yogurt, etc.

1 Like