Cooking Good Food - Ramens of the day

14-15ish oz? I probably should have weighed it, but I got a 4 pack with a total weight of about 3.75 lbs, and MrsWookie’s was a bit smaller than mine. Like I said, chawnky. Or THICC if you will. Incredibly tempting and delectable chunks of meat.

1 Like

I know this’ll eventually have to stop but I find I can eat 16oz of steak without blinking. That, a big ol’ pot of pasta, or a bag of chips are three things I can pick at seemingly forever.

Yeah I’m not a big binge eating guy but I can put down 16-20 oz of steak no problem.

Any tips to picking good filet? When we have Costco steak again in a few months I’ll go with those, I think it’s still my wife’s favorite but I’ve never made it at home. Cast iron w ghee sounds great.

Since it’s such a lean cut, there isn’t as much variability from one to the next as rib eyes. Get the size you want, and the more marbling the better, for what little there is. As filets are so lean, I recommend cooking it at least one rarity level (or about 10 F) less than how you cook a rib eye.

This is indeed a great way to cook steaks.

I kinda like the flavor of different fats on a steak, but I certainly wouldn’t spit out a steak cooked in rendered beef fat. I’ve done it that way many times.

You don’t need to compromise. Start with a bit of ghee as a base for rendering down the fat band.

i get to pick a gift from draftkings for giving them a lot of rake.
the food related option are. what would you pick?:

George Foreman Indoor Outdoor Electric Grill
Inkbird WIFI Sous Vide
Made-In 8’’ chef knife
Cuisineart pressure cooker
Insignia 3.4qt Air Fryer
Ninja 1400-watt belnder.

And some meat delivery from Porter Road Box (This box includes 2 dry aged steaks, 2 pork chops, 2 lbs of dry aged ground beef, 1 lb of bacon, 1 lb of country sausage, and 1 lb of chorizo sausage.)

I use my pressure cooker way more than I do my sous vide or air fryer. Especially in the winter time for soups and stews.

2 Likes

If you are a foodie and meat eater a sous vide will change the way you cook, for the better.

I don’t know if I agree with this. Maybe I just use my Sous Vide incorrectly, but everything I cook in there I find I can cook better on the stove or grill. I haven’t touched mine in probably 2 years.

Really? Huh. I have never experienced that. But Kenji’s sous vide chicken thighs recipe is really delicious and convenient, and I really dig it for 24 hr leg of lamb, duck leg confit, pork shoulder, and the occasional steak that’s so thick that sous vide helps get even cooking. I haven’t messed with carrots sous vide, but I’ve been meaning to.

1 Like

Yeah, I have a sealer. Seems odd it might make that much of a difference, but maybe?

I do tons of leftovers. Usually at least half the week. Stews and such. I certainly don’t cook like my usual post in here every night.

Every time I passed by the meat section at Costco, the pork bellies always caught my eye. I finally picked one up along with a brisket to smoke. I also threw on some sausage and ham hocks to fill my smoker up.

Pork belly:

Why did I wait so long to cook one of these up? So tender and juicy

Brisket flat:

Brisket point:

Ham Hocks:

My sister had these from a hog they butchered. I smoked them up for my other sister’s fiancé to use in his red beans and rice.

Sausage:

L to R, jalapeno cheddar brat, Italian sausage, and bratwurst. I just got these at a local meat market. I’m experimenting with different sausages for any future BBQ contests. Italian was the best out of these three.

13 Likes

Yesssss poker community finally coming to terms with the fact that boiling your food in a bag takes all of the fun out and the food comes out just okay. Save it for restaurants dudes. Have never envied a pic of a sous vide steak but basically burn a ribeye on a shitty charcoal grill and I’m still drooling.

I made reservations for Angele because downtown napa seems like a nice place to spend the afternoon, but I think I might end up canceling it because classic french isn’t really our thing. I’m sure it tasty but the menu seems so heavy.

Have you been to the Oxbow Market?

Their location is scenic, right on the river. I’ve never been disappointed by their seafood and haven’t found it to be particularly heavy.

I’ve been to the Oxbow Market, but it wasn’t much of a place for a celebratory dinner. Maybe just grabbing something to take on a stroll along the river?

1 Like

We ended up doing some very tasty empanadas and disgusting weird coffee drink i had to try cause i’m a moron for ~breakfast in the Oxbow Market followed by casual lunch at El Molino Central in Sonoma. It’s always at the top of all the Eater lists.

I picked the Al Pastor and the Mole Chicken Enchilada’s. The prices are absurd high but the portion are also gigantic for no apparent reason. I would have been full with half portions and happier with half price. The “taco” were delicious (although i’m not sure how that’s a taco) and the mole was really interesting but too heavy for me.

Literally everyone else ordered the fish taco but we were too full to fix that mistake.

2 Likes