Cooking Good Food - Ramens of the day

London in a nutshell.

1 Like

Can’t claim any credit for this beauty. Just finished eating it. Sensationally good pork belly, mrs j.

3 Likes

Did you cut off most of t he leafy green part of that Bok Choy? Shame

Trying some USDA Prime Rib eye from Costco. Not a meat expert but my understanding is that the marbling on these is ideal. My parents are insisting that two are enough for four people, I was worried that three weren’t enough lol (they’re thicker than I realized).

3 Likes

I used to grill and eat a whole Costco ribeye when I was a steak guy. I had it with a side of nothing. I loved it. It was just so much meat. I agree that two is enough for 4 people. With my current eating, I think one steak would make 3-4 meals with veggies etc.

3 Likes

Thanks steak people. Making mashed potatoes and some roasted veggies for sides so I think two will be plenty.

2 Likes

I’d say those are about B+ marbling for a prime rib eye. Top one is inching up into A- territory. Obviously beautiful and delicious cuts of meat, but you can occasionally find better at Costco.

1 Like

My mom couldn’t stop talking about how good it was so I’ll say it was a success. Toddler also loving it.

12 Likes

Cooking method?

Reverse sear on a gas grill. You could definitely taste the quality of the meat, perfectly tender and rich. This guy also wanted in on the action…

7 Likes

Definitely looks great. I find it hard to get a great sear on the grill, so I’m an oven/pan guy myself. I probably need to try to get better with the grill if I want to cook for more people than just the immediate family.

Definitely gets a weak crust on the gas grill but I like the ease of cooking on it, especially when the oven is otherwise occupied like tonight. When I make the leftover steak for me and my wife I will try oven/pan.

Yeah, gas grills are tough to get a great sear. Most just aren’t hot enough. When I have gotten a good sear on a grill, it’s been by putting a grill over a charcoal chimney so that it’s just ripping hot.

While it wasn’t my intent to have a steak-off tonight, I had been craving some steak, and tonight was the night. Yesterday I found some chawnky filets at Costco, and not being all that impressed with the rib steaks, I went with those. Steak cooked 100% cast iron pan in ghee, medium low to start, then medium high to sear. Side is Kenji’s blanched spring vegetable salad with Greek yogurt.

12 Likes

The steak looks amazing, but I am suspicious of Greek yogurt as a side :thinking:

It’s a really delicious dish. We didn’t do as many vegetables as this (and fava beans are not nearly delicious enough to be worth the substantial trouble of dealing with them), but I heartily recommend giving it a shot:

That indeed looks great, but I may try it with fish or Lamb first before pairing it with steak.

1 Like

I’ll take a bowl.

I think Labane will be too tangy and overpower the steak, but plain greek yogurt would work fine. It sounds delicious.

1 Like

I first made this for a Memorial Day cookout with some friends from work and some of their friends I think 2 years ago? The snap peas blanched in salt water not only stole the show in this dish, but they were practically the most delicious thing at the whole cookout. We had some great ones fresh from the farmers market then, and tonight’s were merely from the grocery store, but they taste so, so good that way.

Holy Flintstones steak! How many ounces do you figure that was? Even at a steak house, getting the bigger (8oz ?) filet is never that big.

Looks wonderful. Cabernet with steak. I love it.