Cooking Good Food - Ramens of the day

This take needs more love (although jwax’s needs more hate). While I doubt I’ve had world-class versions of either, the best ramen I’ve had was transcendent whereas even the best pho tops out pretty far below it. The less good ramen, however, tends to be pretty bad whereas I’ve only had pho that I didn’t like one time; it’s rare enough that I remember it pretty distinctly.

Comparing any pho to Campbell’s is insulting though.m

Also to address Yuv’s complaint I think a lot of people are conflating pita with flatbread. Most places that I’ve been to serve food on a flatbread, not a pita. Some of them may also have pitas that they put things inside of. I assume his offense is that a pita is made with an airy middle so that things can be placed inside of it and by placing things on top of it you’ve just wasted the process of making an actual pita.

I still think bún thịt nướng chả giò is the best bowl of noodles you’ll find in Vietnamese noodle shop. lol broth. Gimme grilled pork, crunchy vegetables, and a cup of stinky nước chấm to dump all over it.

6 Likes

I’ll have one

Looks great, but broth >>> noodles.

If this was to me: we just drank a bunch of tequila. Not the best pairing but led to a fun time!

1 Like

now you’re just debating lunch vs breakfast.

1 Like

Pot roasts are pretty good in air fryers. Just a big ol’ hunk of beef with slivers of garlic shoved in.

Hmm my wife is at a friend’s with our daughter and just sent me a message saying “let’s get an air fryer.” I told her no since I do 90% of the cooking and don’t see any use for it but if anyone wants to make an impassioned defense of them feel free to try and sway me. Air fryer/pressure cooker might be more useful since I’d probably use the second feature.

Meh. Need a 30 minute ramen recipe.

kidding

Fine.

Air Fryer is great for making delicious snacks w/ veggies, below are two of my favorites:

Lot of veggies w/ a little olive oil and salt are pretty good in it.

1 Like

I jinxed myself posting the menu. Got a phone call from the restaurant saying they are closed on Tuesday.
I’m like “i have a reservation with a confirmation number had to put my cc details”.
She says “yeah but we’re closed”.
Silence.
I’m like okay, can you check for a different date.
She goes “oh. How about May 8th”.
I’m like “no its for a birthday which is why i booked it on your site. It’s a pretty bad customer experience as i already planned around it in the 4 days since i got the confirmation”
She goes “yeah our site can be glitchy”

No apology or empathy. no attempt to help with a solution.
Quality customer service from a michelin star restaurant.

3 Likes

I’ve been here before:

It’s pretty good.

2 Likes

Looked at the Bay area restaurant I’d most want to visit when I next find myself back there, and it’s closed Tuesday, too, lol. Lot of availability on either side, though.

Actually, this place is pretty great, too, and open for Tuesday lunches. Shorter drive, also.

1 Like

Not sure why you’d expect more from a 1-star restaurant. One that advertises its 1-star status, no less.

1 Like

R7458e6a88201e8de48ca0b9b5982be97

7 Likes

Air fryers are excellent for fresh veggies and frozen prepared food (fries, nugs, etc.). Plus a handful of other assorted foods. I would argue they are not great for large chunks of meat.

For Foodi pressure cooker - try the BBQ ribs and chili/cornbread recipes from the little cook book. @Surf

Those are combination recipes (pressure cook/crisp). There’s a great solo air fry recipe in there for chili rubbed chicken w salsa verde, recommend to try that too.

1 Like

Which did you rave about? Soho or City?

The quality of restaurants in the City is quite shockingly low considering, or because, how much money is floating around there.

When I was working there the only places I wanted to eat were a branch of Hawksmoor steak house and a Pakistani cafe near Aldgate. The only Indian restaurant in the City, imaginatively named The India, was mediocre and way overpriced - the sort of place you find yourself dragged into by friends after a night out.

Soho was amazing. City was trash. It was also 5 years apart so i dunno.